TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mods that are worth doing on a 94 tbird that doesn't require tuning?

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
You'll have to do some searching to see the full scope of options and all they entail, but expect to find threads about PI intake, PI cams (although they won't work on 94 heads unless you use aftermarket springs), exhaust, transmission/torque converter/gears. IMHO you'll be limited to a max of about ~200 RWHP if you do nothing but mods that don't require a flash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
on my 4.6 cougar, i cut off the mufflers and just put pipe in their place..... butt dyno says the car got more high end out of that mod.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its not that I don't want a tune Im trying to decide if I want to keep the 94 and put a 96 motor in it when the motor or trans goes out or just wait and get a 96 bird. Also from what I seen a tune id pretty expensive, unless I was looking at the wrong thing.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Tuning will run ~$400 (I'm looking at OBD-I and QH). I my opinion not more than any mod, save building the trans--the most important--or a blower.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So can I get a tuner for my car or does someone have to tune it everytime I change something?

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,966 Posts
PI cams are out of the question since the OP has a 94, so that leaves the PI intake, real exhaust(cut mufflers does nothing) and junk like UDPs, plenums and TBs. Best stuff: Mild J-mod and a Mark VIII/Marauder converter. Those are cheap, very noticeable and won't require a tune(although it's still very beneficial).

Forget 96 motor go for a 02-04 PI motor
Why stop at 04? Explorers used the 2V through 05 and Iron PI motors were in production into the 2010s with the 8 thread spark plugs.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Tuning will run ~$400 (I'm looking at OBD-I and QH). I my opinion not more than any mod, save building the trans--the most important--or a blower.
The OP has an advantage - his 1994 4.6 V8 is OBDII already.

RwP

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
For the biggest kick in the butt, torque converter, J-mod, gears, PI intake manifold, and tune. That will get you into the 14's. Throw some PI or Trick Flow heads on the motor and you'll be in the 13's. I'd suggest a torque converter with more stall (at least 2800). The bottom end will take you far, N/A and up to 6500 RPM. The bottle necks are the heads and intake. The weak point is primarily going to be the transmission. The mods I've mentioned are the most worthwhile mods you can do for the money. Don't bother with plenums, throttle bodies, coils, huge plug wires, they won't net you much, if anything at all.

For air intake, after you switch to the PI intake manifold, run the '96-'97 intake tube with your air silencer removed.

You may notice my mods in my sig and my ET. My mods list is good for high 13's to low 14's, but for some odd reason, my motor just doesn't have it. I must have a factory dud or something like that. lol

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
there might be hope for this 94 after all.
It goes a lot smoother when you listen to those who have learned. ;) The potential for a bad a-- machine is there.

Does your Bird have rear disk brakes?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good info in here for later. That's if I have enough patience to get this far with mine! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep got rear discs... so I can actually get some pi heads and mustang cams and have my intake port matched to heads

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just figured I wouldn't have to mess with getting the 96 intake stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts