TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always let my car warm up a couple minutes before driving. Within the first couple of minutes of driving if i go WOT it wont rev past 3000. But if I go about 3/4 throttle she will rev no problem. Is this a sign of a bad TPS? I hope I explained my problem well enough :cool:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There is no need to warm up your engine every time, why on earth do you do that?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont like running a cold engine, Not enough oil flow in the first few minutes of running a cold engine, due to oil being thicker.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I dont like running a cold engine, Not enough oil flow in the first few minutes of running a cold engine, due to oil being thicker.
You must either have:

A. X-ray vision

or

B. Smaller oil passages than everyone else's modular motor by an order of magnitude since they are apparently restricting oil flow in your engine and no one else's.

Trust me, there is oil flowing no matter what, after the first few seconds. Unless your oil pump gears are broken. The oil pump is driven by the crankshaft, so no matter what you may conjecture about the oil flow, it will not decrease to the point of the oil pump slowing the crankshaft down. Unless you're that guy who neglected his car (or purchases a severely neglected car) by not doing timely oil changes with quality oil to the point where sludge is literally caked everywhere.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Technically you really don't need more than about 5-10 seconds of "warm up" time prior to driving away. If you're concerned, just drive nicely while the car warms up, no worries.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Unless its really cold in the morning and you want the heater on. :tongue:
Ugh, that reminds me I have to do the heater core solely because I hate foggy glass on humid mornings. I think I will cut out a panel on the engine bay side this time lol.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
In addition to warming up too long, going WOT in the first couple minutes is too soon. Driving the car will warm it up much faster than idling, not to mention pick up quite a bit in gas mileage.

Al

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I don't rag on anything until the coolant temp is up to 150 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I think I will cut out a panel on the engine bay side this time lol.
It still won't slide out with the engine in; it's too long.

Of course, Pulling the engine out is marginally easier than pulling the dash, it could be a worthwhile mod... :zdunno:

Does the dash collapse if you take a cutoff wheel to the dash support where you need to? :)

Removable, bolt-in custom dash supports; there's a welding idea that would sell like crazy! Anyone who's ever done a core replacement would buy one.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
It still won't slide out with the engine in; it's too long.

Of course, Pulling the engine out is marginally easier than pulling the dash, it could be a worthwhile mod... :zdunno:

Does the dash collapse if you take a cutoff wheel to the dash support where you need to? :)

Removable, bolt-in custom dash supports; there's a welding idea that would sell like crazy! Anyone who's ever done a core replacement would buy one.
Now you're catching my drift. ;)

I got gear, yes I do. Turn your car into metal cornflakes. The glue it back together ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
Youre more likely to start a fire with all the insulation and tar mats on the body.
What, you're not going for the _95badbird weight removal mod, like the rest of us?

What insulation/matting? :)

FWIW, holding a metal container the size of a film vial to catch the stream of sparks from a cutoff wheel will control any fire possibilities... unless the guy beside you sprays acetone all over a part he's working on, lol. Man, was he surprised...

EDIT: GM, I considered doing the same thing when I replaced mine in the red car; I held up the new core, and it won't clear with the engine in place, by ~2".

You could get the old one out with the SirWill mod, a sawzall; lol. But the new one won't go in.

I thought about a Tranny fluid heater core; it could never rust out. And it might fit from the front, because it could be smaller...

Thoughts? :)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Youre more likely to start a fire with all the insulation and tar mats on the body.
I wasn't gonna plasma the firewall with the dash in place, lol. Once I remove all that stuff out I meant. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,333 Posts
I wasn't gonna plasma the firewall with the dash in place, lol. Once I remove all that stuff out I meant. :)
Fill the car with Argon, no problem; the matting won't burn.

Just don't cut into the airbag with the plasma torch; that could Be Bad™.

Dry Ice is cheaper, but will work every bit as well (as a fire retardant); you want to put enough in there that it vents everywhere while you're working. :)

A car with the doors and windows closed is remarkably airtight. :) And a candle on the dash will indicate it's safe to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Fill the car with Argon, no problem; the matting won't burn.

Just don't cut into the airbag with the plasma torch; that could Be Bad™.

Dry Ice is cheaper, but will work every bit as well (as a fire retardant); you want to put enough in there that it vents everywhere while you're working. :)

A car with the doors and windows closed is remarkably airtight. :) And a candle on the dash will indicate it's safe to proceed.
I'll take your advice if you let me try it all on your car first :D

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
What, you're not going for the _95badbird weight removal mod, like the rest of us?

What insulation/matting? :)
Believe it or not, the tar mat on the sheet metal makes it much stronger. Unless youre planning on seam welding the whole car to make up the difference. ;)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
This thread is waaaaaaaay derailed.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
This thread is waaaaaaaay derailed.
lol

hey until he comes back having verified that his TPS is working properly, it's right on track. He's just waiting at the next station that we haven't gotten to yet. :cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts