TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but if you dont know......

I want to buy and install a newer intake ( from a 96 -97 bird ) on my non-pi heads on a 95 engine ( block ,etc,etc,etc...) would this work?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, the composite 96 up NPI intake will bolt right up to the older NPI heads.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yes, but the main limiting factor in the pre 96's are the cylinder heads, so just an intake swap won't help that much.

IMHO, trying to make power out of a 94/95 will usually end up costing more than just swapping in a newer, complete engine (preferably from an Explorer).

But that’s just my opinion.

I have some NPI, 96 casting heads that are fresh from the machine shop and a pair of PI cams for sale.... If you're interested.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but the main limiting factor in the pre 96's are the cylinder heads, so just an intake swap won't help that much.

IMHO, trying to make power out of a 94/95 will usually end up costing more than just swapping in a newer, complete engine (preferably from an Explorer).

***I wasnt really going for power. I was thinking more of a better flow for fluids and gas,etc,etc,etc...***

I have some NPI, 96 casting heads that are fresh from the machine shop and a pair of PI cams for sale.... If you're interested.

*** with that setup would there be any drastic chagnes needed to the block?***

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
Actually, the flow characteristics of the 94/95 NPI heads is almost identical to the 96/97 heads. The restriction on the 94/95s is in the intake. The problem with the early heads is they are limited in how much valve lift you can run, so you can't use most aftermarket cams in the early NPI heads. Also, the early heads have problems with valve guides and seals wearing out. Also, regardless of whether you run the 94 heads or the 96s, if you are changing out the intake you might as well go to a PI intake and pick up some more power.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
switching to a 96/97 intake would make getting to everything like the egr and iac alot easier, lol

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Actually, the flow characteristics of the 94/95 NPI heads is almost identical to the 96/97 heads. The restriction on the 94/95s is in the intake. The problem with the early heads is they are limited in how much valve lift you can run, so you can't use most aftermarket cams in the early NPI heads. Also, the early heads have problems with valve guides and seals wearing out. Also, regardless of whether you run the 94 heads or the 96s, if you are changing out the intake you might as well go to a PI intake and pick up some more power.
I could have sworn when I looked down the ports of an early NPI head and compared it to a later casting NPI head there was a noticeable difference in the runner design. On the early casting you could hardly see the valve stem.

But that has been a while ago, so I may be wrong. :D

And SoulCalibur,
***I wasn’t really going for power. I was thinking more of a better flow for fluids and gas, etc, etc, etc...***
If you don't want more power, then why do you care about better flow? Better fuel economy?

And yes, those heads with the PI cams (and a PI intake) would be a noticeable improvement. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

·
Super Moderator
7,513 Posts
You are correct that the actual port design of the 94/95 heads is very different from the 96/97 heads, but in terms of flow characteristics, they are nearly identical. Most people who are going to stay NPI switch to the newer heads because of the ability to run better cams, and they respond well to porting, and they solved the issue of the valve guides going bad and taking out the valve stem seals. There's no question that if the heads are off of the car for any reason, you should put the 96/97 heads back on, especially considering how cheap they are, but if the motor is still all together, it is still worth it to at least upgrade the intake.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
You are correct that the actual port design of the 94/95 heads is very different from the 96/97 heads, but in terms of flow characteristics, they are nearly identical. Most people who are going to stay NPI switch to the newer heads because of the ability to run better cams, and they respond well to porting, and they solved the issue of the valve guides going bad and taking out the valve stem seals. There's no question that if the heads are off of the car for any reason, you should put the 96/97 heads back on, especially considering how cheap they are, but if the motor is still all together, it is still worth it to at least upgrade the intake.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You will need a lot more than just the intake manifold for the swap. The 95 TB faces forward, the 96 TB is turned 90 deg to the right. The EGR pipes, TB, etc are all different.

Good luck with all that!

Al

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Hey can I get a pic of that?
lol its not that special its just a PI intake swap with the 96-97 to end accessories. You need the egr tube, egr, throttle body, plenum, fuel rails, iac, intake tube, etc...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I did this swap a while back because I wasn't going to remove the 95 EGR and reinstall it. The 96/97 setup is much easier to work with.
Alan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts