TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i found out that my tranny failed cause the rear planetary gear bearing failed. Would a cooler have prevented this situation? Would a shift kit have made it worse?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well the shift kit would have probably prevented this from happening in the first place. When I say shift kit, I am refering to the technical article here, not a kit that cheats by raising line pressure across the board or in the wrong areas.

A cooler also would have prevented this, by keeping the fluid cooler, resulting in more viscosity, meaning you have less metal to metal contact and friction, resulting in longer life.

-mj

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah that is what i figured...yeah i meant the J-mod.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cooler is better, but if debris from the TC or cooler got to that bearing, it was gonna frag sooner or later no matter what else you did. Good argument for the cooler filter Ford sells. Can't see shift kits making any difference except in clutch and band wear,and a shift kit won't stop the PCM slipping the TCC.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Since you mention this is your second one did you replace the radiator or at least install a filter in your return line? When a trans goes south it sends a lot of debris into the cooler and if it makes it back into your new trans guess what......

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Not to hijack the thread... When I did my Transmission swap, I installed a B&M aux cooler in the line before my B&M plate cooler. *IF* the transmission that I put in where to go south, the aux filter I installed *SHOULD* stop any debris from getting into my cooler, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts