TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the market for a new car, been looking at the turbo coupes (I know more about the motor). and came across a sweet 95 sc for 3500$, it has less than 90000 miles and is a one owner ca. garage kept, everything factory as well. tha sad thing is that it's an auto!! but hey... looks good..

now if I do get it, it will be a daily driver, will this hurt the motor?? my work ride is five miles total or less both ways, will this hurt the super charger? and must you le it idle down to cool down after a hard ride? and what is the life on a super charger? and how much to replace, or rebuild??

thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Driver

I drive my 92' five speed Super Coupe daily. Never given me any trouble at all.
Gas mileage is very good, comfortable and fun to drive. I drive three miles each way to work and I top off the tank every two weeks. I do take it out on the highway and blow it out now and then. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Driver

Without seeing pics of the car, I guess the price is fair enough for the mileage and condition. I found a guy who was in need of money and picked up my 92' a bit cheaper and very pleased with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,289 Posts
I have been using my 89 XR7 5-speed as a daily driver for the past 6 months or so. No worries about it wearing out the motor, or having to let the blower cool down or anything like that. Only thing is you have to be able to diagnose problems on it and work on it yourself. Most shops when they see that motor will turn you away off the bat, especially if you have some drivability concerns which is the most common problem with those motors. Usually its something as simple as a vacuum leak or dirty MAF or something stupid like that, but if you can't work on the car yourself it will probably cost you a fortune any time something goes wrong with it.

Mike

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
What kinda gas mileage are you guys getting? Specifically the 5spds.

-Joel

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
this car looks new!! smells new.. if I got it I'd run the hell out of it!!! and I know it...
In that case, no. As the others have mentioned, unless you do generic work yourself, you're going to end up spending what you paid for it in repairs alone in the next couple years. My experience with a 93 5 speed was that lots of little things go wrong, especially if you beat the F out of it...and head gaskets too lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
i get 21 mpg with mine, i drive 10 miles to work everyday, and 10 back, it does very good unless its in the rain, then soon as you hit boost the tires are spinnin...

·
Super Moderator
8,289 Posts
I get decent mileage on the highway, about 23-25 depending how fast I drive. Around town though, I can't seem to keep it out of boost so my mileage drops down to about 14mpg.

Mike

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
hmmmmm??? gas=3.00*22=66*3=198*12=2376??? wow!!!!!
Last time I checked, the SC didn't have a 22 gallon tank.

so gas= $3.00 per gallon (has to be Premium for the SC)
Tank capacity = 18 gallons (16 useable)

16*3 = $48

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I am getting about 23 mpg in my 90 SC auto that needs new cats and has 157k. I am unsure about the 90 5spd as it is so much fun to drive I just do not pay any attention to mileage.
I think the SC is a great daily driver in decent weather. These cars are extremely comfortable and ride great. I do not drive mine in the winter months here in NY.
It does pay to be able to troubleshoot and work on these yourself. I have also run into mechanics that do not want to touch the SC.

Randall

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
in the market for a new car, been looking at the turbo coupes (I know more about the motor). and came across a sweet 95 sc for 3500$, it has less than 90000 miles and is a one owner ca. garage kept, everything factory as well. tha sad thing is that it's an auto!! but hey... looks good..

now if I do get it, it will be a daily driver, will this hurt the motor?? my work ride is five miles total or less both ways, will this hurt the super charger? and must you le it idle down to cool down after a hard ride? and what is the life on a super charger? and how much to replace, or rebuild??

thanks for your time
No, an SC will not be a good daily driver. I had one and it didn't fare so hot.

Reading farther, though-- With 90k miles though.. be very gentle, and it will do just fine. In addition, do cooling system mods as soon as you get it in order to prevent headgasket failure.

It's also a 95, which makes it very very unique...

-Ghost

·
Registered
132 Posts

thanks for your time
An SC can make for a great daily driver as long as it's well maintained and you don't beat the **** out of it. The only problem is, if you were to purchase this SC your going to start thinking...man this car is to nice to be a daily driver. Then your going to start looking for a beater car for a daily driver and wind up with two cars.:D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Driver

I'd love a second Super Coupe with a five speed.

If one is good two is just right.

Take care of it and it should run fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the rain? - No
In the snow? - No
On hot days? - No
On very cold days? - No
Are there a lot of mechanics who can repair it? -No
Are parts easy to get? - No
Is it easy to work on? - No

Would I get rid of my 2 SC's? - No
Any owner of an SC is making a serious commitment to the car. An SC has very contemporary styling, fairly advanced technology (for its day), and is a joy to drive (when it works). The car is more than 10 years old so Ford is not obligated to stock parts or ensure mechanics have the training to work on it. The numbers produced are fairly small and there are probably 1000 differences to a regular Thunderbird. Some parts are year specific. The electronics, suspension, steering, brakes, and manual transmission are complex or unusual. Certain starting or running problems are difficult to diagnose. The engine bay is cramped so changing plugs, replacing the power steering pump, cleaning injectors, replacing a crank sensor are time consuming. Need to change coolant often, upgrade rad to a triple core, watch head gaskets and harmonic balancer.

You have to be patient, do your homework, and call on the SC community for help occasionally when you run into trouble. Being handy helps too.

Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
replace the headgaskets and id use it as a daily. supercharger will outlive the engine X2 as long as u change the fluid sometime. i drive mine daily and beat the piss out of it. 12 mpg city 23-24 hwy. ive also had a lot of work done to mine so i can drive it daily. i bought it with 167xxx miles on it and what a peice of crap it was. that one sounds like its in better condition id do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.