TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Trying to recover from the weather disaster here, i've been staying at my girlfriends moms house about 40 minutes from my apt, power has been out since thursday but we are all ok.

I did something stupid, I bought gas at the indian reservation, and I think I got some bad gas in the 98 4.6 f150.

It was sputtering really bad, then started throwing a blinking check engine light (misfire).

Would bad gas foul a plug? I put alot of drygas in the tank, and filled about 1/4 of the tank up with good 93 octane gas.

When you first start the truck up it runs really bad and shakes, but when it warms up it runs a little better but still not right.

The plugs are 12c motorcraft coppers about a year old, and 20k miles on them.

I'm going to put a set of autolite platnium plugs in the truck, and see if that helps it out. This thing is a bit of a bear to put plugs in, so i'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks.

JH

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks steve, i'll check that out.

I had to drive the thing into the office today, but when i get it home i'll check that out.

Good thing I took half a day off so i'll have daylight to figure this one out.

Rolling-Thunder said:
Any chance the MAF sensor is going bad?

Just unplug it and give her a test drive.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if you think you got some bad gas i would change the fuel filter asap. i can remeber my dad getting a bad tank of gas and he had to change the filter 3-4 times (had a clear case so you could see the crap in the filter).

·
Registered
153 Posts
You bet bad gas will foul a plug in an instant. If you are suspecting bad gas run the car as low as you dare then fill it up with as much as it can hold of some good gas. Then change the fuel filter. It may take a tank or so but it will come out.

Marl

·
Registered
210 Posts
There could of been some sort of a leak at the place where you got the gas from and some water got in to there tank , hence you got some water in your tank!Also could have been low octane to begin with. With new plugs clean m.a.f a new fuel filter, and some STP fuel boost. All should be ok then.

·
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, i got it fixed.

Turned out to be a wet plug in the rear of the passenger side bank.

Put 8 autolite platniums in it, and a couple cans of drygas, seems to be fine for now.

Doing plugs on those f series trucks is a bit of a pain, but after doing it a few times you kinda know what to expect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts