TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would It Be Worth It???

My car is a 97 and it just hit 152,000. Three years ago when I bought it there was 112,000 and it had the shudder. So I took it to a tranny shop for service.They drove it first, put it up on the rack, dropped the pan and then told me they wouldn't service the trans because it was on its way out, gave me an estimate for $2200. :eek:
Since then I haven't had any shudder and it shifts like a stock 4R70W (slides into 2nd and 3rd, which I hear is normal). So my question is: Would it be a waste of time and Mercon V to change the fluid?? I'm sure the shop put in the OEM call-out for the fluid cuz the service manager didn't tell me otherwise. I've had no other problems with it, just the poor shifting. I've read a lot on the J-Mod, might go for that too.What ya'll think?? Should I go for it??

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Well unless there was just insane amount of shavings and pieces stuck to the magnet in the pan, I don't see how the machanic could tell that the tranny was on its way out just from dropping the pan. I've even seen the magnet in good trannys look a little "fuzzy" from shavings.

The shudder you had before was probably due to dirty fluid and the new fluid fixed it. I say that if the tranny seems like it is still doing good, changing the fluid over to Merc V sure wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
When I pulled down my pan for the j-mod and Merc-V upgrade, my magnet looked like a chia pet! However, my transmission shifts AWESOME now. Just my experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I've even seen the magnet in good trannys look a little "fuzzy" from shavings.
Every tranny I've ever dropped the pan on has had at least 'black goo' on the magnet. :)

That's why you want to work on your own stuff; I don't believe people.

It's when you see chunks of stuff, and aluminum shavings spilling out of the filter opening that you know the transmission is going out. :rolleyes:

When I swapped my Red Cougars tranny it looked like that; it slipped, but drove 50 miles home. :eek:

It was still hot when I took it out the next day. :D

You know, the Red Cougar drove me home broke twice; once with the tranny slipping, once with the engine blown. (It still starts and runs; I'm finishing it's swap this spring.)

And it's not like I babied it either time it broke; whats it going to do, break? :rofl:

A 5500 rpm shift sounds wild with a #8 rod slapping, I can tell you. :D

"Ford Tough!" says it all.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Well unless there was just insane amount of shavings and pieces stuck to the magnet in the pan, I don't see how the machanic could tell that the tranny was on its way out just from dropping the pan. I've even seen the magnet in good trannys look a little "fuzzy" from shavings.

The shudder you had before was probably due to dirty fluid and the new fluid fixed it. I say that if the tranny seems like it is still doing good, changing the fluid over to Merc V sure wouldn't hurt.
Mine did that when I bought it too (118,000) and I have an AOD. The level was way too low so I just filled to the top with Merc V. Its been great since then, really really smooth.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
When I got rid of my 95, I was certain the trans was on it's way out...the guy who bought it changed the fluid and filter and said shifted fine after that....I am convinced now that no matter how bad these transmissions seem, a fluid and filter change is always worth trying first

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Tell em thats fine, and that you will find someone else competent enough to do an actual trans flush.. :D

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
When I got rid of my 95, I was certain the trans was on it's way out...the guy who bought it changed the fluid and filter and said shifted fine after that....I am convinced now that no matter how bad these transmissions seem, a fluid and filter change is always worth trying first
Lol she's still shifting fine Earl. Much more crisp than when I first picked it up from you.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
97 a good case with a lot of good internals, good Accumulators & a good VB - So you want to take care of the rest of the hard parts in there until day of O/Haul comes when yeah you'll want new TC & Mech Diode 1 Way, Cooler, etc...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thanx to all who responded. Looks like I'll be doing a fluid/filter change in the near future.
Good deal, always a good idea with any transmission. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
mine shudders a little, and slips really bad into 3rd gear, so i was going to put some more lucas tranny goup into in. when i got to kraken i saw a new lucas bottle, tranny conditioner. its a thinner liquid, but it says it's supposed to rejuvinate the friction modifiers in the exhisting fluid. so i got it and now the tranny still shudders a little here and there, and slips into 3rd, but not nearly as bad and only if i've got the throttle in juuuust the right position. it's a 97 bird by the way. so while it's not a mercon V fluid change, i'd recommend it to anyone just the same.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
If it slips just plan for a new transmission. Trying to "patch" it up with valvebody corrections will just cost you time and money.
Alan

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
have you done anything to it yet?
nothing but driving it since I did all that maintenence on it. She runs well. Can't wait to get the PI parts on it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, mine has seemed to slip since i bought it, changed the fluid and filter. made a lot of diff, but never corrected the problem. if it were me, and i had the cash, i would just rebuild that thing, and then put the syn in it.(where I'm headed since she locked up finally) 150000 miles is about all you ever get out of these things unless you take super care of it. i hear that new mercV doubles the life expectancy though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts