TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth the trouble putting a PI intake on 94 F4 heads. And if I did what kind of gains should I expect. Honest responses, no flames please.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
No.

Because to use the PI intake, you'd need fuel rails, intake elbow, TB, EGR and tube, etc.

Save your money for an explorer motor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see everyone pushing the Explorer motor. Why? Is there a great difference in the two besides the heads. I understand that the ex motor is lighter due to it being aluminum but is there a great difference in the weight. Where am I going to see the biggest difference. I can't see dumping my engine to get a lighter one if there is no power difference. True the head swap costs about the same, but I think this is the more sensible route if you have a good running engine, which is the case with me.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
gains: about 50hp. (PI heads/cams/intake vs stock NPI)
Losses: about 85lbs. (aluminum block)

Not a bad deal.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
MN12-Blackbird said:
I see everyone pushing the Explorer motor. Why? Is there a great difference in the two besides the heads. I understand that the ex motor is lighter due to it being aluminum but is there a great difference in the weight. Where am I going to see the biggest difference. I can't see dumping my engine to get a lighter one if there is no power difference. True the head swap costs about the same, but I think this is the more sensible route if you have a good running engine, which is the case with me.
It is a newer Mustang GT engine with an aluminum block...you do the math ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My math ain't that good, help me out. Besides the length of the intake runners inthe PI intake and the better flowing heads, what is the grand difference in swapping in PI heads, cams, and intake versus the famed 02 EX motor.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Lower mileage. You will spend almost as much or more, depending on your sources to put PI heads on your '94-'95, and still have a high mileage engine. I think the main reason is that unlike the GT engine, you don't have to modify the motor mounts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich,

Thanks for the insight into my question. A near zero miles bottom end is worth having, thanks again. Palm, and all the others that chimed in...thanks also.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
Lower mileage. You will spend almost as much or more, depending on your sources to put PI heads on your '94-'95, and still have a high mileage engine. I think the main reason is that unlike the GT engine, you don't have to modify the motor mounts.
Rich,
That might just be on the 99-00 Windsor blocks. The Romeo blocks should be a drop in.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
The other big advantage fro 94 guys is that the Explorer EGR tube fits a Tbird so one less thing to buy

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
actually i have one on my 95 heads and also added one on hanses 94 i picked up from 96.85 mph to 100.85 u do the math it picked it up alot now keep in mind i have comp cams also i did the swap on hanses 94 with the stock cams and he picked upp 11 rwhp and a little over 2.5 mph also if u get and explorer motor u still gotta buy all the swap parts so whats the difference u gotta buy them anyway we just did and explorer swap on a 95 we manged to re use the egr tube and egr valve but thats just my input also my car 220 rwhp and hanses made 216 both have same cams and intake have both gone 13.7x there not to bad for the crappy heads but ill agree the 96-97 heads are much better we will see soon im swapping the same cams in to a 95 with 96 heads we see how it turns out

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robert...

Did you run into any drivibility issues when you went with the Comp cams?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
actuallt i did not as long as u have a new i ac valve and not and old and tired it will idle good u can tell it has cams it might stall out once in a blue moon but knowthing that bothers me runs very well just as insight it went 13.85 with the stock intake on it later

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
MN12-Blackbird said:
My math ain't that good, help me out. Besides the length of the intake runners inthe PI intake and the better flowing heads, what is the grand difference in swapping in PI heads, cams, and intake versus the famed 02 EX motor.
Sorry, I was just saying in comparison to a stock T-Bird motor the Explorer motor is for all intents and purposes the 260 hp GT motor.

With the Explorer block you have low miles, with the headswap you have the same flow but higher compression. Explorer C/R is 9.4:1, headswap is about 10.4:1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts