TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a sustainable habitat was established on Mars, would you volunteer for a one way ticket?

Much like people have always done when they settled a new land.

Granted the environment on Mars is quite different, but humans are very adaptable?

I would go in a heartbeat, but I'm also single and a loner. :D

(Yes, it's 1:30 am Saturday morning, I'm at work, and bored out of my skull waiting for a FE to call... :()

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
If a sustainable habitat was established on Mars, would you volunteer for a one way ticket?

Much like people have always done when they settled a new land.

Granted the environment on Mars is quite different, but humans are very adaptable?

I would go in a heartbeat, but I'm also single and a loner. :D

(Yes, it's 1:30 am Saturday morning, I'm at work, and bored out of my skull waiting for a FE to call... :()
i would go but not if i had to stay my whole life... it would be a helluva vacation though

(your not the only one...1:40 saturday morning and i just got back from catfishing all night with my buddies):D

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Dear GOD NO! I would like to see all the people I wish were dead sent to Mars. Even if people were already on Mars Im sure they were fed some cock and bull story about how much its an HONOR to die in some god forsaken wasteland. Mars has polar ice caps and soil so living there is not just possible but should happen, all these extra people overpopulating earth should go somewhere. I can see generation after generation of laborers sent there to die to build up the terraforming infrastructure(who wants to join them?).

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts
I'd like to see us set up a presence in space, and do space exploration.

Sending people to mars, done correctly, could be great. Sending them one way would be a terrible death...

Mars makes a great place to explore the rest of the solar system from; light gravity, some atmosphere. Terraforming by adding a few water-ice asteroids could make it a lot more livable. :)

The asteroids are pieces of a planet, that was probably ripped apart by Jupiter; that means mining is much easier. Laser spectroscopes would make finding deposits easier. "Belt mining" features prominently in SF; it's within our technology.

Imagine finding a piece of gold the size of Manhattan...

Using a large asteroid to remove ~80% of Venus' atmosphere would go a long way toward terraforming it; if said asteroid was made up of the right mix of gasses and other chemicals, it could be livable as soon as the lava cools. :)

To get that far, we need a space station in LEO, a space station in geosynchronous orbit, and a base on the Moon. Several types of orbital spacecraft would be needed...

The only thing between us and having all that is Politicians and Morons. Wait, did I repeat myself? :)

Of course, sending people there isn't a bad idea...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

:)

94 Daily Driven 4.6L, I could do this as well; as long as I had video games, and a computer to code on, I could handle not seeing people for a few years.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
I'm single and a loner and I'd still say hell no! :tongue: I have little to no faith in human competence and sustaining a completely artificial atmosphere to support a group of humans sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Now sending prisoners there on the other hand would be A OK!

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
It's been tried here on Earth and, although it failed, a lot of important lessons were learned and knowledge gathered from the experiment.

Any body remember the Biosphere II experiment?

·
Super Moderator
16,819 Posts
And I forgot about the worse part of all, no cars!(IC powered at least) I'd welcome a failed artificial atmosphere and quick death living there in that case! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
the whole thing about sending prisoners to a desolate planet...that was a twilight zone episode! except it was one dude all alone...then they gave him a robot woman...really a good one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think mars would make a great green planet where we can keep things electric and solar and what not. It would be great for tree huggers and all the go-green people, then we will be left on Earth with our dinosaur killers and less traffic (priuses and volts) on the road to deal with!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Now sending prisoners there on the other hand would be A OK!
That is an awesome idea. If there were a sustainable planet we could shuttle them too like Escape from New York and let them fight for their own survival. Anyone who is serving more than a 5 year sentence goes. Would solve a lot of problems here both socially and financially.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
That is an awesome idea. If there were a sustainable planet we could shuttle them too like Escape from New York and let them fight for their own survival. Anyone who is serving more than a 5 year sentence goes. Would solve a lot of problems here both socially and financially.
The New World was just that a new place to fight for survival, then you had Australia too. Next its the moon and then its Mars, dotn want to work then your air gts cut off seems reasonable. There is one more place to go after that but people have such short memories and cant remember it LOL I tell ya tomorrow if you remember Kelly. I have a busy day ahead of me and Im about to drop off.

AGAIN LOL @ Mars Id send only the people that p!iss me off the most. I mean whats to do there? Mine for minerals? Dig holes? BUild power lines? Certain death?

I cant wait til the day I live to see an ad like ....

"JOIN THE MARTIAN COLONY CORPS AND GET YOUR FREE HOUSING"

or even better

"WANT A BETTER LIFE? ITS WAITING FOR YOU ON MARS!"

I see suckrs lined up for that BS.

·
Super Moderator
10,398 Posts
And I forgot about the worse part of all, no cars!(IC powered at least)
What makes you say that? :confused:

Cooling issues would have to be addressed, but feed it o2 and fuel it will run fine. :)

I want to do an mx track at .6G... :zdevil:

I've looked at the calculations; it's possible for a human to fly on the moon, in a big enough area, with artificial wings. It was featured in an Heinlein story from the 60s.
Tell me that wouldn't rock! :headbang:

All that any of this takes is the will to do it; it's within our technology.

It's sad really.

America is becoming a third world country, and it's brought to you by the same people that killed Kennedy... :)

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I think that we should colonize mars with convicted death row inmates that way if it crashes or they die because of problems no big loss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts