TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the story:

I went to the strip tonight because the website www.louisvillemustangs.net was having a meet. I thought because I joined up and hung out there I'd be welcomed (seeing as my 4.6L has some similarities...). I thought wrong.

So anyways, I get there, get my # put on the car and I see a bunch of stangs w/ Cobra rims, so I parked by them. I get out of the car and let it cool down a bit before I run it. I luckily found a guy I had been talking to the last few times who owns a Dodge Maverick. We were chatting and when it was time for street class to race, I let them start running and went to get the car. I walk over to the car and I see a bunch of guys there and I get a glance from one or 2, but no one says anything, and I am not POSITIVE these are the people, so I don't say crap, get in the car and run it on the track.

Anyways, about 1 or 2 hours later, I saw a 96 Black Cobra run. The guy who organized it had a black Cobra I thought, but I was wrong. I told him about the meet and he said huh??? So........ I just complimented his run and car and left. As I was walking back a guy walks up to me and says: "Your the T-Bird guy huh?" I told him yes and he shook my hand and gave me his SN. I was like.. "well, what is your real name?" We exchanged names and he introduced me to another guy, we talked for about 1 to 2 minutes tops, then he said: " I wonder where the hell tommy went? " Then he said nice to meet you and left.

I know it sounds stupid and this is more of a ***** session on my part, but I truly feel like I give a vibe where PEOPLE DO NOT want to be around me. I mean, I try to restrain from talking about myself because I feel that makes me sound selfish, but I just don't get it.

I get home and ask my family about it, my grandfather says it is because I don't have a Mustang is why. I told him I had the same (nearly) 4.6, he said that doesn't mean anything.....

Bottom line, I want to ask you people how to have good people skills, I HAVE to figure out how to get them if I am going to have ANY chance in the business world.

I need help when it comes to meeting new people, and mainting the friendship. I switched Universities because I joined a fraternity in hopes of friends and at first it was all good, but then it just slipped off. I know this may sound f'in ridiculous to some people, but any help would mean a lot.

Thanks,

John

Ugh.. and now my woman is being a pain in the *** tonight too (nothings wrong, but I'm gonna act like I'm pissed at you, rap). Things just keep getting better and better.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Who cares man, if people don't want to know ya, thats their loss. What do you have to prove? nothing.

There's some people are totally arrogant and they also own cars, it sucks sometimes. People at this apartment complex are like that -- they're not about a group, they're about themselves. I'd have to call everyone up to figure out wtf is going on and I stopped doing it but did go out once with 'em a while ago and got *****ed at (where have you been??), got kind of offended and asked "did you call? oohhh thats right, you didn't", f'in spare me. I don't hang out with them so much anymore, they suck, they're boring and predictable.

Have fun with or at their expense :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that, but I'm trying to actually make some friends who are into the car scene.. But when you have ****ty people skills.. Doesn't help to much I guess.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't really know any specific helpful hints but I bet forcing yourself to deal with people would help. The more you deal with people the easier it should become. Talking to random people or even having short conversations with people in an elevator might help, who knows. Just throwin out ideas...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I recommend you always go somewhere with a girl/friend. That way you won't have to rely on the willingness of others to chat with you when you don't know anyone at a GTG.

Last time I went to the track, I met a friend there. I also saw an old racing buddy once I got there, but we didn't talk. I didn't know anyone else there. Yet, because I was with someone, I think I was able to make more conversation with other racers than I would have if I was alone. We talked with this Marauder owner who was doing low 14's but with EEC problems. I just showed interest in his car and he was glad to talk about it and pop the hood for me. I brought up a few suggestions to get it tuned, etc.

I do plan on going back to the track anyday now, but by myself. I don't plan on making any conversation though, just getting new time slips. Oh, and I CERTAINLY wouldn't go to a Mustang meet with my 'Bird, unless I knew some of the racers. TOO BORING! :leftright

FWIW :(

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have found out that the track is NOT the place to meet "talkative" people, unless you go with a friend who has been there a lot of times and is “known”. :(

I've been a couple of times and about 95% of the people just look at you like, "Who the hell are you?" (But I'm in the south, so that's kind of what you get everywhere. :rofl: )

I’ve even gone up to a lot of people with nice drag cars and tried to start a conversation with, “That is a very nice setup, what kind of times are you running…. “ And a lot of times I don’t get any replies, or something like, “pretty good”… :mad: Fine, have a good day. :leftright

It’s really sad since you would figure the track would be a great place to talk to fellow car fanatics. I don’t know what it is! :2huh: From Davey Jones of the Monkey’s, “What number is this? … I know, it’s because I’m short!” :D (yes, I’m old and I like the Monkey’s. :leftright ) Maybe that my problem, I’m short. . :leftright But I digress… :leftright But you’re about the 5th person that has said the exact same thing about people at the track. :2huh:

But on the up side, one place to talk to people is car shows. :thumbsup: Just hit a couple of car shows and get the people talking about their cars. Usually the older guys will be more than happy to share their knowledge. :D

But no matter what, don’t sweat it! The only person you have to be worried about pleasing and being comfortable with is yourself. Pleasing anyone else is just icing on the cake!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
With what you wrote, I don't see anything wrong with your people skills. The way I look at it is this:

1. Some people are there to race not talk.
2. If you are racing too, some may think of you as potential competition and not as a potential friend.
3. And some may just want to keep their mods secret.

Don't let it get you down. As someone else said above, it is their loss. As 94 Daily Driven said, "It’s really sad since you would figure the track would be a great place to talk to fellow car fanatics."

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I met a guy with a Dodge Maverick and we have spoken every time I go to the track, he is usually the main guy I hang around with when I am there.

I do take my girlfriend occasionally, but THEN I gotta stay with her, because if I don't, she gets pissed and blah blah blah.....

As for the Mustang guys, I really thought you know since I drive a Ford too it'd be all gravy, I went in with optimism and found out it was a bunch of BS. I just don't feel like having to pay high insurance to join a bigger market right now.

On a side note.. I did meet a few Vette owner or 2 who was really friendly (gasps). Running flat 8s all night..

Oh well, there is an advantage of bein the only T-Bird.. Everyone knows its YOU.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, a lot of times it's just the people. I was having a real ****ty time when I went to a big monte carlo meet. When I first got there it was all these guys from long island, I tried going over and introducing myself and whatnot, but they basically ignored me. But then, some other guys from california, michigan, and texas came over and they were freindly as hell and actually seemed to care that I was there or not. It completely turned my day around. Plus I found out later those long island guys had a reputation for being dicks and nobody really liked them anyway.
So next time, organize something with your fellow local t-bird owners and forget about those douchebags.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zero89lx said:

So next time, organize something with your fellow local t-bird owners and forget about those douchebags.
I wish it was that easy.....

I only know of one other guy whos has modified his car, and he can't run his due to some timing chain troubles and tranny trouble in his AOD-E (Getting upgrades put in that though). He goes out of his way to show his car off, I thought that was pretty cool on his part..

I got pictures, when I get them developed I'll show them.

But yeah, it is really hard to find T-Bird owners who give a crap around here.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Dude, don't sweat it. There's nothing I can really tell you that hasn't already been said.

And hey, you'll always have us... :leftright

:D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cougarman said:
Not to change the subject, but what is a Dodge Maverick?? Alot of times Mustang guys only like Mustang guys, when all Fords should be welcome.:D :D
To be honest, I only heard of the vehicle one other time.

It looks KIND of like a Chevelle / Malibu (no 4 lights in the front).

He has a 302 in it (stock) and he has done some modification... No A/C, No power steering, 4 barrel carb/intake, valve covers. He runs low 9s in the 1/8th on a cool day. Last night he ran around 9.5... He pulled me by like 3 to 4 cars when we ran against each other :(

Well, now that I figured that out, I'm just going to post on the boards and just avoid the events/get togethers.

I swear if that was a T-Bird get together and that happened.......... :mad: :mad:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i dunno

i talk to a lot of guys when i hang out at bithlo..

especially the old guys in the muscle cars.. i think that group tends to be a bit nicer. if you have problems, issues, questions.. the "old" men will be happy to guide you

as far as the honda & mustang crowds.. they stick together and argue about how much horsepower a yellow sticker gives over a blue one..

hehehe

but, i always go w/ friends... boring any other way..

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cougarman said:
Oh I see, it was a Ford Maverick. Those were pretty cool cars in the day, especially the "Grabber" editions.:D
I could of swore Dodge made the Maverick....

I was wondering wtf he was doing with a motorcraft battery..

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The old guys do seem to be much more accepting and nicer. I'm 18, and when I was still in highschool, all of the other car nuts wouldn't talk to me because I didn't own a Mustang or a Camaro...f'em, I talk to the Focus Guy, he's cool. Just find an owner of another misunderstood car, like Thunderbirds (or Foci):D The mainstream fools think they're great because that's what their magazines say.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been hanging out with NorCal Wildhorses Mustang club. Their site says "Home for enthusiasts of the Ford Mustang, Cobra, Lightning, SVT Focus and other ford performance vehicles." So I joined the forums and posted in the newbe section and I didnt get any "you don't have a mustang" crap so I stuck around. Went to a meet with them and everyone shook my hand and introduced themselves. They are really cool people. They even put me on the NorCal members page.

So Metalbassist03 I guess if they are just a Mustang club and nothing more then I can see why they would be like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts