TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I successfully rear ended a Grand Cherokee and now have no front end, no hood, no radiator, and two deployed air bags. It is a '96 T-bird, V-8, with 140,000 miles. Do I salvage the whole thing, rebuild or what??? Please help me!!

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
successfully?? :uppoint:

sorry, couldn't help it :D sounds like you were trying to rear end him/her.

if the engine runs strong, i would say rebuild it. hit up the junkyards and look for parts.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, with that many miles, and that much damage...insurance will want to total it. But if you love the car enough, start hitting the used parts and the junkyards...yuo can rebuild it for cheap and throw some paint on it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Its ALOT of work to rebuild a front end that was hit hard enough to deploy the airbags. There is ALOT of cutting and welding involved.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I will take the trunk lid and all the rear lights if you plan to part it. Sounds like you hit it hard to do that damage. Shoot I wrecked my bird into a gaurd rail at 35 mph and didn't do anything that bad...geeez.

Anyways if you want to part send me some mail for I'm egar to buy.

-Tim

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
If you change the dash, have fun. That's PITA. Did that with my dad's 94 SC after we bought it wrecked. Had to replace air bags. Why did we replace the dash? When the passenger air bag went off, it cracked the dash. If you decide to rebuild, as long as the frame isn't damaged and it's just direct part replacement, it won't be too bad. Just time consuming.

If you part, let me know. How is the interior? (besides the air bags) I might know someone interested.

And I too have to ask - successfully rear ended a Grand Cherokee? As long as your OK - that's all that matters.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
there is someone on here in the for sale forums selling the front clip off a bird... hop on it... if there is frame damage, toss that sob and get another one

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Well personally I say if the Bird has sentimental value to you, then fix it. If not then...

When I wrecked my Bird I sat in the body shop at Ford waiting to get the estimate processed and get an answer from my ins. company. I was horrified at the fact that there was enough damage that my insurance comp. might total it cuz I did not want to lose my second love. So I was ready to buy another daily driver cheap, and hit the junkyards for the sake of my beloved Bird. Thankfully: Insurance fixed it. I paid $500 deductible. Drove the Bird home soon after.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i agree with jordan, fix it as long as there is no frame damage. Also if you decide to part and you bird has tan interior with sport option i need the rear deck carpet. I've been looking for a bird with tan interior without a cut out in the rear deck carpet for the 3rd brake light for a long time. Just let me know if you decide to part it.

Frank

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided to part with the car. Love it but with only liability I am screwed. Frank, as far as the back deck, I actually have a custom made back dash. It is 1/2" MDF with a trapezoid cut out for more bass in the cab. The colors can easily be switched. It started as black with red trap, now it is gray with blue trap.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Pezman said:
I have decided to part with the car. Love it but with only liability I am screwed. Frank, as far as the back deck, I actually have a custom made back dash. It is 1/2" MDF with a trapezoid cut out for more bass in the cab. The colors can easily be switched. It started as black with red trap, now it is gray with blue trap.
any pics???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts