TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my sons 96 F150 while he is in basic training. Looking for 2800 ish lockup converter with 11.4 bolt pattern. This will be behind a mild 302 w/4.10’s. Budget is limited so the $1000 custom Circle D isn’t on the menu.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I posted in the wrong forum. Sorry mods. You might want to take a look at scottwood who pm’ed me that his friend Mario in Texas has the converter I’m looking for. Joined 27 days ago and it’s his first post seems like a scammer

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Not that strange of a request .. It's just more likely that nobody here has what you are looking for or has not seen your post. Not sure i would trust somebody who is new and never posted here before. But maybe Mario in Texas is actually legit for all I know.

I have a 3800 stall Dirty dog converter i would sell for super cheap .. But I would not recommend actually using it. 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep , not a 3800 motor way too mild for that. I follow several forums and there have been a run of “first post my friend has “ scams lately. If it’s Tapatalk check to see the kind of phone it was sent from it’s usually a clue. I’ve posted on the corral and f150 boards as well as svt and GT500 forums. The “other vehicle” parts posts haven’t come up with anything. Figured I’d throw it out on GT500 and SVT since I’ve had good luck finding parts for my 08 GT500. Who would have thought a SBF 4r70w converter would be the hard part to find? Several people on the corral have suggested Edge converters. Looks like that might be what I end up doing. Just hoped I’d find the never installed Circle D gathering dust in someone’s garage. Had an offer of a NIB converter built for a 350 HP 347 with 3000 stall but this motor would’ve stalled way lower. The search continues......

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
A quick Google for "2800 stall 4R70W converter" turns up a bunchteen under $400; some down closer to $200; and a few reman'ed units pushing $100.

Shucks, the "home town boys" (for me!) have one that's $340 ... Interceptor Dominator albeit a larger bolt pattern. Call'em, if they have it in 11.4, they'll sell it in 11.4.

Even Auto Zone lists one that they don't state the pattern for, but it'd be worth calling and asking: https://www.autozone.com/transmission-and-drive-train/performance-torque-converter/tc-remanufacturing-azp7619-2300-to-2500-rpm-performance-torque-converter/389144_0_0

Exactly what kind of budget are you working with?

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,642 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on Scottwood. Posting from Nigeria behind a proxy server... He's banned now. :)

Reactions: Rodeo Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably $500~ budget. Had the trans rebuilt less than a year ago and it’s leaking so it’s heading back to the trans shop. Planning on taking the converter to them and seeing how loud they scream about swapping it since I expect them to have to pull the trans but we’ll see. I figure if they do it then it will be bye bye to the remaining warranty but I can live with that. They tried to up sell me when it was rebuilt but seemed vague on stall speed and wanted to shift kit it and not Jmod it so I passed figuring I’d do both later. Edge and FTI have good reviews in several forums and I will check out PATC they are all in that price range. Monster has low prices but several people haven’t been happy with them. Thanks for the feedback if a deal doesn’t fall in my lap I’ll probably order one I the next 2 weeks.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,284 Posts
I have a 3000 stall if you are interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts