TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to buy new carpet for my 94 bird in black. who do you guy's recommend to buy from and if there's options which cut?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is NO MOLDED carpet on the market for these cars!
Look to see if you can locate a black carpet, used or NOS from/for a Mark VIII. Aftermarket carpets are not molded and difficult to install. I just installed a carpet from ACC. I added the "mass-backing" option, which is an added layer of soundproofing. (about a 70.00 add-on cost). No noticeable change, would not go that route again. The "upgraded", heavey pile carpet matched what was in my 96 Cougar perfectly. You will need to let the new carpet sit in the direct sun to make it more plyable for install. You will need a mallet to tap the carpet into shape around the various corners of the floor pan, and a very sharp knife (box cutter with fresh blade) to make the cuts. Remember to make your trim cuts..."a little at a time", using the kick panel, console, rear lower seat cushion and sill trim as guides. If you take your time, the results are worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I used accmat 1242-94 in cutpile black. I had to cut out around the shifter and the back were it comes up to the back seat is a little loose. I plan on glueing it to the pan with contact cement one day. Other than that it fits good and looks like the OEM, but black.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used accmat 1242-94 in cutpile black. I had to cut out around the shifter and the back were it comes up to the back seat is a little loose. I plan on glueing it to the pan with contact cement one day. Other than that it fits good and looks like the OEM, but black.
Did you just heat your carpet with a heat gun to make it plyable then mold it into the car?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as mark vIII carpet goes, does anybody know if there are any differances in the years? also any gaps that will be left exposed afterwards?

Thanks!
David

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a question. When i removed my original carpet it had a hard plastic attached to it which was molded to the contour of the car. When i put in the new carpet it didn't come out the same as the factory one. Was i supposed to remove that plastic and attach it to the new carpet?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Leave the plastic. I removed the thick padding pieces from the old carpet and put them on the car floor with the Acc carpet over it.
The Ebay carpet above appears to be in two pieces, They will join under the seats and console so it shouldn't be visible. My Acc carpet was one piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts