TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

1995 4.6L Thunderbird:

I went to check the oil in the car before I started it today, the dipstick was tight, I just thought it was an o-ring, so I gave it a rip and..... Only 1/2 of the metal at the end of the dipstick (not the cable part, but the part where you read how much oil is in the pan) decided to stay in the engine.

F#^$!!!!!!!!!!!

So I drained the oil, and the piece did not come out, I tried fishing around, nothing, the piece isnt magnetic.

Am I pulling the engine?

Whats you guys' opinion?

Thanks again,

Brandon

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Just pull the star like bolts from under the K member and lower the Kmember itself.Pull the pan and clean it out.There are 8 bolts I believe and they take an E18 socket

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I used that method back in September to pull the pan on my engine to clearance the crank scrapers a bit. I slapped together a simple temporary truss to support the engine, removed the through bolts on the engine mounts, disconnecting the steering shaft, disconnected the ground wires from the K-member, unbolted the shocks from the shock towers, removed four of the E-18 bolts and replaced them with ones that were 7" longer, placed a jack under the K-member, removed the other four bolts, and lowered the K-member out of the way. From there, removing the pan was possible.

All in all, it's about a day's worth of work to get it apart and back together again.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
If it was stuck in the tube then most likely the end is still stuck in the tube also.
I would pull out the tube first before I would pull the pan.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Unless the dipstick pulled out a bit before it felt "stuck", the cable end never made it into the tube.

-Rod

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:rolleyes:

This sucks LOL. I really wish I knew where that piece was, if I knew it was below the baffles, I wouldnt even worry about it. I've ran the engine since, no problems.......

Thanks for the tips Larry and Rod,

Brandon

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
A long shot but do you know anyone with a borescope you could use to get a peak inside the pan and see where it's at? You've got the oil drain plug and the dipstick tube to look through. If you know where it's at you might be able snag it and fish it out the drain hole with something...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My shop foreman has a borescope, good thinking! What I was planning on doing before unbolting the engine was chainging the oil again a few times, and praying LOL.

BTW, I ran the car and got it up to temp again today, no issues, just trying to get that piece to drop to the bottom.

Thanks again for the ideas guys,

Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts