TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I brought my car to time-it-lube today because I have to take a three hundred mile trip tomorrow and I don't have time to change the oil at the moment.

So, I pull up they get my name, blahblahblah and I get out there after they are done. Usual pull-of-the-run crap, your air filters dirty, you've got a pulley squeaking (which I already knew).

I ask them, what kind of oil did you use? 10-30 Exxon, so I think ok I've used it before it should be fine....WRONG

I get out of there and immediately notice, NO FREAKING POWER TO THE WHEELS. I hit 4k on my car while still in 1st and only got up to 20 MPH before it stopped going at all. There's a little stretch that I test out my car on down the road, I hit 1st in 50mph the whole time I had to hurry up and slow down because I was afraid my engine was going to blow.

What the hell happened, I know I have a vacuum leak but it worked for the most part fine before that (except on rough idle start ups, that’s it). Did they do something wrong somewhere, unplug a house?

As much as I hate to sue a fellow person who works on cars, can I? If I can I will probably go through with it because this is ridiculous it worked 3/4ths of the way fine on the way in and works only 1/4 out!

On top of this tomorrow I have to take a three hundred mile trip with it putting any power to the wheels and I don't have any options because our other car is only a BMW and cna only seat five and we have 8 people going.

Help!

Thanks,
Eric P.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Sounds like the leak is just getting bigger. Chances are it's the rubber hoses (especially the T fitting) that work with the PCV system. The one with the T runs towards the very back of the manifold and half under it, where you'll see it attach to hardline on the drivers side. The other side also has hose that ties into the PCV valve (I think, it's been a while since I worked on a 94-5).
I bet it's stalling if it's leaking this badly.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Vacuum leaks are usually fairly easy to find and fix. If you know that's what's wrong go at it with a can of b-12 or some very attentive ears and I'm sure you can rig something up. I personally don't look at it as being my fault when I'm working on a customer's car and I accidentally break some brittle vacuum hose that was on its way out anyway.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's a leak, but my point is it worked fine minus the start up problem until I went to their shop. It's their responsibility to treat my car with care. There was oil all over my engine and finger marks all over my hood and someone actually sat on my car (grease stain of their a...)

They must have made the leak bigger somehow because it was fine with a minor hole. I know where it's leaking at but that crap is 60$ from Ford for the whole assembley because they dont sell it seperate (a little 90* turn)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
look around where they did any work to your car

IE: Oil filter, air box, filler tubes....

And look for these leaks... It might help you actually find it this way, at leat you know it got worse from them changing your oil.... and Im sure you know what parts of the car are involved when changing the oil and tuning up the car.

MG

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
Listen for a leak, think you hear something? get spray happy with the carb cleaner. It'll either surge or stall. I forget which.
Actually the engine will smooth out for a split second while the carb cleaner is being drawn into the leak.

Elpelezo.... If you didn't want them under your hood you should have done the oil change yourself. I don't let 16 yr old kids under my hood. Thats why they charge so much because they have to have alot of insurance for when drain plugs get left loose or what not. Quick lube places pay to replace alot of engines when the kids don't pay attention to what they are doing. On the other hand you blaming them for your problem getting worse is petty. You already had the problem so it's not their fault. Okay so they spilled a little oil and cleaned it up making your leak worse. Would you rather they left the oil there to catch fire or something?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI I cleaned it up, not them. It wasn't my choice, my dad seems to think he's god in engines and says it's a waste of time to change my own oil. He also says now that the crack in that 90* turn has always been there and that he doesn’t think it's that.

So now I'm just royally pissed, he can’t make up his mind so I'm thinking about selling this and going to look for a 5 speed SC 90+.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
How much do you want for your car?
-Rob

·
Registered
397 Posts
So you can't find a leak or jury-rig a 90* hosing bend, what makes you think you'd be better off with a car that's more problematic and harder to repair?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
zero89lx said:
So you can't find a leak or jury-rig a 90* hosing bend, what makes you think you'd be better off with a car that's more problematic and harder to repair?
:uppoint:

EPelezo said:
FYI I cleaned it up, not them. It wasn't my choice, my dad seems to think he's god in engines and says it's a waste of time to change my own oil

Well I agree changing you own oil is a waste of time. Unless you like me use the time the oil is draining to check under the car for leaks and problems. Changing your own oil is a good excuse for constant maintenance and inspection. I would drive my car on a 2000 mile trip tommorrow without worrying about it.
What I'm saying is If you want it done right do it yourself. Then if something gets broken you can blame yourself.
If this little stuff discourages you from a v8 you better go buy a new car ( I mean brand new). Supercoupe's will have you furious in a hurry. Best case senario a supercoupe will be at least 9 yrs old.(95 was the last year right?)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yeah, if you trust the quickie oil change places, you definitely get 2 and maybe 3 things you don't get if you do it on you own
1. An oil filter that may or may not trap a marble sized particulate or has no pressure relief in case it actually does
2. You eventually end up with a 4 inch diameter drain plug due to constant stripping and replacing with a bigger one
And maybe...
3. Oil of unknown and definitely questionable origin that could have been recycled, reconstituted, reclaimed or recovered from beaches and animals after a tanker spill
Ok, I am making that up about the oil.
But hey, that great big drain plug could make it easy to change the bearings when they go bad. Just reach right on in.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well , y' know, I'm allmost 65, and havent felt well for a while, but allways had enough gumption to change my own filter and oil , and usually the tranny fluid and filter as well...If you dont want to service an almost 10 year car yourself, it will not last much longer.and you will end up dumping a bucket full of money in it.... Doing those little things yourself is sorta part of the joy of ownership of one of these cars... Perhaps you might be better off with a Focus or something thats a bit more basic , and a bit less demanding of your attention.... on the plus side, a lot easier to push than a 4000 lb MN-12... (Runnin around with a known vaccuum leek- Sheesh!) you may grow up to be ok tho', as you are showing some signs of indignation at the run of the mill oil jockeys sloppiness, and thats a good sign................

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well,

This all requires money.
  • I'm working on that minor crack in that 90* turn.
  • I figured out what they did, the little bend that connects the violin case to the intake box wasn’t put on right. I don't know why the disconnected it but they did. (Maybe it was because I wouldn’t buy the damned air filter they wanted me to buy).
The only problems left with it now are a minor sputter on a complete stop, I think it's because of the cheap oil they used (mind you this was my first time at that place and didn’t know to tell them to put Castrol GTX into it...big mistake...Exxon super flow!)

So would the oil be causing that minor sputter on a dead stop to go, not on a rolling stop?

I'm in no way ready to down grade to any smaller car. It's one of the best things that have happened to me. It makes me happy when I beat cars with it, it makes me mad when I can’t figure out WTH is wrong with it. It's like a mini-relationship.

And I would've done the oil change my self and not brought it in, but my dad wouldn’t let me because I've never changed oil before and don't know how to do it (in other words he's too lazy to teach me) so I'll have to do like I did with the Intake silencer and do it one day when he's not home and do a 'by the way' scheme on him. It's the only way I can get anything done to my car without him *****ing, and even then, he *****es. He wont let me buy another car because I don't have a job and he doesn’t want to carry the note (good luck finding one in Shreveport when your 17...groceries stores are all full); which is understandable but if he's going to let me keep this car he better damned well let me work on it and not someone else!

My family has always been a car family so-to-speak. My step dad owns a shop, my grandpa used to, my dad always worked on his own car rather than take it in, all I'm trying to do is show the same and work on my own car. This would be the second generation of family it's been in and I plan to pass it on to my kid as a tradition so to speak.

I treat my car with the same respect I would treat a person, I wash it every Sunday, I check the oil on a daily basis. I love that feeling when you drive in somewhere and asks you 'Is that a new car?' or 'your car looks awesome!’ You just can’t beat that with a little car.

Oh, yeah, sure I can rig it and make my car look stupid but I'd much rather do it the right way.

Rob, I have no idea how much it's even worth, most people sell theirs on here for 3k or so, in good condition. Mine has this sputter issue, bad tint, and messed up front seats and a few minor scratches and what not on the exterior (I still get 'your car looks awesome' when I drive in somewhere). I'd say 2k I guess \(0_0)/

- Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts