TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody here play? i just bought an x-box, and with the year free live subscription, figured i'd give it a shot. i bought ghost recon and splinter cell(though sc isnt multi-player).
michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
awwww....mistake buying the X-box...too expensive and PS2 has a alot more choices for games...and I think the online connection for PS2 is cheaper(if not free)....buy anyays...different strokes for different folks i suppose
-Brian

·
Registered
192 Posts
There are always different views on which system is better. I own both of them and agree at the moment that PS2 is better. The main problem with ps2 is there online gaming. They allow third party companies to make and run the servers for there games. This leaves the quality of the server up to the company. I don't know if anyone has played socom but that server is possibly the worst server I have ever used. I mean slowdown lagging are just the begining. The companies for ps2 for right now aren't charging to use there server but that will change when the new final fantasy comes out. The server for microsoft is much better and runs much smoother. Not to mention all of the games for the server are voice activated. Thats just my two cents on the console battle.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i to have both ps2 and x-box. i must have missed the part about more expensive, as i see both systems going now for $199. its just another gaming library. splinter cell may be the best game i have ever played, plus shenmue II is gonna be mine soon. the companies that made the game SHOULD supply a server, thats how it is in the pc online gaming world. i tried playing ghost recon mp, and it just wasnt working too well. i couldnt find a game, then the server booted me when i did. the ms network for xbox is just a few months old, so i'll give them some time to get all the bugs out, it is free afterall, so no biggie. also if i get the craving for online gaming, i can use the pc, which has exponentially more games, servers connections, and players.
michael

·
Registered
192 Posts
I saw at the local eb by my house that the xbox is going for 150 now. That sure beat the 300 dollar take that I paid when it first came out. I still must disagree that third party companies should run the servers. I believe that there will be to many differences in the qualities in the playstation two servers. I know where to turn if the microsoft online is having problems. I know that companies like zipper the maker of socom doesn't really care about its consumers because they can't seem to supply a good support service around there online gameplay. I agree that its not a big deal because we don't have to pay for it but when I and many others bought the game we bought it to play online. I think microsofts server will be superior in the long run to third party servers that lack support.

·
Registered
30 Posts
by the price being cheaper i meant the price to play online...u have subscribe to x-box whereas it generally free for PS2s
-Brian

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmm, i believe the one year subscription i got for xbox live was free....and also i believe i read the the gta series was exclusive to sony until only 04.
michael

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
okcbird said:
If you want a computer, buy a computer; otherwise stick with the PS2 or GameCube IMHO.
Damn straight. :) I have not had any problems with server slowdown on SOCOM for PS2. It's been fun and the only bad thing that happens is that I have to be the terrorist. If you're the terrorist, you really cannot root for your own team to win...

·
Registered
635 Posts
But buying the xbox for a cpu is the main reason I got it. So I can free up space on my cpu.

PS2 Online will never match up bacause you cant talk trash. There is nothing more fun to laugh at someone as you light them up.;)

Just one question though Is PS2 Online free???

·
Registered
192 Posts
For the moment ps2 online is free. But companies will start charging in the future. I know for sure that final fantasy online will be charging. I can't remeber how much i think its like 12 dollars but if other companies take the same route that could add up quick

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
chris said:
For the moment ps2 online is free. But companies will start charging in the future. I know for sure that final fantasy online will be charging. I can't remeber how much i think its like 12 dollars but if other companies take the same route that could add up quick
...and that is why I'll stick with a computer. For those who can't play every living moment of their life it just isn't worth it.

-J

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
other than the connection issues, i have found some other differences between pc and xbox online play. mainly, the guys on the xobox forums complaining about 'spawn campers' how they sit at the spawn points and kill freshly spawned opponents. i had to explain to them that that is the point of team deathmatch. the goal is to kill the opponent as many times as possible, and dominate them, and if you get an advantage take it. though i prefer the term 'spawn raping,' just sounds more violent and demeaning to me.
michael

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
We just call 'em campers and tell them to get some skill or launch a counter attack. ;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it sure sucks to get spawn raped, but its part of the game. launching a counter is the best way of defending it. i've been playing delta force bhd for a little while and hooked up with a great group of players. we use rw to communicate, which most clans or squads do. i can say that 'camping' works, i mean, me and a few will find high ground and snipe, while the rest run around retaining the progressive spawns and destroying the respawners. what games do you play shad?
michael

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It's been a while for me. Used to do weekly gaming sessions back when a co-worker was in high-shool. Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo, Quake, Quake 2.

He went to college in FL and set up a Q2:CTF server we all played on for a while. Got to the point where it would be the two of us vs everyone else to at least get some competition.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we have a couple of former quake players on our squad, and they kick ***! i'm more into the likes of the swat series and rainbow six. to each his own. if you ever get back into it, let me know.
michael

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah, XBOX definately looks better than ps2 and gamecube, but the XBOX dosent really have any games, ps2 has lots of games, gamecube has the name recognitionbut XBOX is left out in the cold. Last I heard they were drastically trailing both PS2 and gamecube, just pray it dosent go the same route as the dreamcast

1 - 20 of 22 Posts