TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so heres the story,i got my xcal from lonnie awhile ago (set for premium gas,pi swap) and have had some problems with it (it hasnt even been loaded in the car for over a month)and before i forget there were a few things that could've caused a problem but nothing like this i dont think.

-i dont exactly know the stall of my t/c the guy i got it from said it was 2000 (not even an upgrade from stock) but i do know that it isnt the stock one,so maybe he meant 3000 i really dont know,i contacted him and he said he didnt know.
heres the thread from when i bought it http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=67809&highlight=beautiful+95+lx+chicago

heres the other part,i installed it and the car ran fine and everything,though it didnt reallyfeelfaster the rpms at idle were higher like i wanted, it shifted higher but it felt needlessly high like it was just revving and not making anymore power,and finnaly i had one code before it was installed but it was the ect ckt voltage too high input (the connection broke where i had to lengthen it) but it went away after i fixed it,but later on i got p0171 and po174 lean on both banks and yes the MAF is clean as can be and theres not a vacuum leak i can find. at that point i took it out and put back in the inject tech chip that it had.it idles very low with it but overall runs better and is faster

and to prove a point my car was slower with the xcal:

- i raced one of my friends that has a sentra ser before i got the xcal and i walked him,then i raced him once i installed the xcal and he raped me worse than he did before i even did the engine swap

i sent lonnie a few emails and havent heard back so maybe he'll see it here any help would be awesome thanks guys

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You probably have a bum MAF, and the shift points are probably too high. My PI intake and cams motor I lowered the shift points down from the 5500 ish range to ~5100 1-2 and ~4800 2-3. Car is alot faster now, taking that 2nd gear past 4800 the speedo just quits moving and the car next to you walks on by. Lonnie is probably at FFW in Orlando.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt its the maf since it runs awesome without the xcal,and yeah 5100 is where it shifts now,i dont know for sure where it shifted with the xcal since the tach wasnt working right,i took the dash apart and it had 10 volts on the ground for the guages so i fixed it and now its fine

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i sent lonnie a few emails and havent heard back so maybe he'll see it here any help would be awesome thanks guys

I received your email last month. You've only sent one and I've replied to it. If you didn't get it then you need to look in your trash/junk mail and add my business emails to your safe list. 99% of the time people don't receive a response from me it's because of their email settings.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i appologize,i looked in my sent messages and i sent two the first on Thu Feb 01 and the last one Fri Feb 16,i also have previously recived emails from both emails addresses from boc (the boc contact one and yours at boc) but ill go back and search for it

ok i went back and looked and yes i did get it i must have just overlooked it,but in it you asked about the cel's and its explained more in this thread,simply put when i installed the xcal a few miles later i got the two codes for lean on both banks

and its on a 95 bird with an 04 explorer engine.

im just wondering why you think the car could be throwing those codes once i loaded the tune and not have the codes when i put i back to stock.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Your o2's could be screwed up.
How many miles are on them?
Do you have cats?
Are they clogged?
Front or rear 02's reading lean?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
im fairly certain its just the tune,it runs just fine,no codes otherwise

im pretty sure the cats arent clogged as i figured i would more than likely have a catalyst below efficiany code

dont know about the 02's or mileage i assume they are fine since again codes only present with the xcal loaded

also i have a cheapy air fuel guage which i know alot of people say is just a light show but when i had the xcal2 tune in it did read lean and switch alot less/slower,without it it switches normally

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just looked over your programming and your spec order sheet. You indicated that you have a Pro M 75mm MAF that is calibrated to the stock injectors. This is what I also have programmed. Apparently your MAF is not calibrated for the stock injectors or you wouldn't have the lean codes. I'm going to need you to data log and send the info to me. I'll email you the parameters and instructions.

This is one of the main reasons these so called "Calibrated MAFs" are such a PITA. They are actually not really calibrated and fool the EEC by skewing the output from the MAF to lean out the a/f for more performance. This also then skews the actual load and so then throws off your fuel and timing tables...snowballing

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Make sure the car is warmed up before you start. I get a lot of them that start the car and then hit the start button to data log. The vehicle is still in the cold start or hot start strategy and open loop. Does me no good and I have to make them do it all over.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i went out drove the car to warm it up,it still felt kinda odd and shifted weird but i never got a code but i figure ill data log anyways,so i went to do it selected all the pids went to hit record and it gave me an error message about somthing device failed any idea,im gonna go back out and try in a bit

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ill try that thanks,it may be tommarow night before i get everything to ya lonnie,i work 630 till 1 30 and then 4 until about 9 at my other job and i have a few things to do in between so bare with me,ill try and get it asap

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Yeah I did a quick look, your in trouble and don't drive the car with my program in it. You had to hear the detonation. Like I said that MAF is not calibrated for stock injectors. You are good at idle but from they you just go insanely lean. At 1500 you are 25% and 2000 you are almost 35%. Like I said, it's not my tuning that's the problem. It helps to have the right parts and correct info. I can get it dialed in pretty close by you should have it checked with a wide band recorder with the same data. Good job on the data logs, finally someone that can follow instructions.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats *****in hah,ok ill go out and put the old chip back in and such,and in all honesty im not too sure what detonation sounds like since well,i just never had heard it but thanks for the heads up.

also since its the maf,do you think it would be a better bet to put on a stock MAF ?we have a spare off my brothers old cougar in the garage.

and thanks for the compliment on the datalogging i had alot of practice when i was in school haha.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I sent you a corrected program for the Pro M. It should be close but you will need to get the a/f checked. Yes the stock meter can be substituted and then you can run the installed program. You would have been better off with a GT MAF instead of the Pro M.

Detonation sounds like a rattle or a bunch of bee bees shaken in a can. I'm sure you had it, there's no way you couldn't have with that a/f you were running. Hopefully you didn't damage the engine. You should clear the memory by pulling the neg side battery cable for a few minutes after you install the new program.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.