TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a xenon spoiler and was wondering how to install it. I didn't buy it new, so it didn't have any instructions or mounting hardware.

I read that you are supposed to use tape. What kind of tape would I use? I searched online at the local hardware stores and auto parts stores and couldn't find any 3m tape. I found some stuff online, but it was over 20 yards long, and over $20. Way more than I'd need.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
find a local paint shop? they have some heavy duty dual-sided 3m tape

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would use something more than just tape. I would get some screws or something to make sure it is mounted. Ask super6ter about it he has one, all though I have heard some complaints about that spoiler.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well I just got mine installed and have had no problems with it. (Knock on wood) The guy who put it on for me used 2 sided tape and 4 screws. On the 4 corners of the spoiler, you will need 2 short screws(for the front) and 2 longer screws(for the back).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just watch the sides of the spoiler where they come down over the rear quarterpanel. Best looking spoiler in my opinion, however it can hit on both sides and do a good job of removing all the paint under it and exposing the metal to rust.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I installed mine the second time, I used tape and screws. I put 1 in each corner, and 2 in the center. It held nicely. Just the tape didnt work.

If this is the spoiler you got, def put both.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
When I installed mine the second time, I used tape and screws. I put 1 in each corner, and 2 in the center. It held nicely. Just the tape didnt work.

If this is the spoiler you got, def put both.
you got any other pictures im just curioushow it looks not only from the back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, these were with just tape holding it. It leaned forward a bit. After the screws were put in, it say much better. Sadly though, I dont have any pics of it. I sold the car right after.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are some photos to help you (hopefully). I installed the wing higher up on the trunk to give it some tilt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used screws in the corners and along the front edge and double sided tape. I suggest a little rtv to seal the screws. Use coarse screws and the best tape money can buy! My wing has come loose before due to screws falling out and the tape becoming soft due to humidity followed by a warm day. I will probably use an actual adhesive next time and bond it to the trunk. As for positioning the wing, you can really push on it to change the shape, so it will contour to the trunk lid in several different angles. I also clearanced the wing so that it wouldn't lay on the sides of the car too much, it still has dulled the paint a little, so watch out for that.

Years ago I installed one of these on a 92 crown vic, fit great and never had a problem with it falling off. :confused:

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Blackbird's wing position looks better IMO
Agreed. That was just with the tape, and it kept moving down. After we reinstalled it, it looked like Blackbirds. But I dont have pics of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts