TCCoA Forums banner

781 - 800 of 803 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #781
I got them from jco1385, as well as the top cups and the rear stabilizer brackets. They’re 12mm x 1.75, grade 10.9 and about 5” long. Head is 15mm, which is kind of absurd

Those were the rustiest things on my car, now I don’t have to crop pictures to hide them in shame like I used to :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You know, I just browsed, and those brackets are still available, new.

I was really worried, but damn; if yours rusted that bad, and you didn't have to drill holes, I Really should be able to do it. :) (FLW...)

My brackets are not rusted that I can tell, and I have a torch.

No bolts, but boltdepot or McMaster will have them. :)

They still have knuckles for disk brake cars, lol. $375...

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #783
You know, I just browsed, and those brackets are still available, new.

I was really worried, but damn; if yours rusted that bad, and you didn't have to drill holes, I Really should be able to do it. :) (FLW...)

My brackets are not rusted that I can tell, and I have a torch.

No bolts, but boltdepot or McMaster will have them. :)

They still have knuckles for disk brake cars, lol. $375...
Amazing, it’s almost as if Ford overproduced the brackets because they expected them to rust out :zbash: I bought the front pair I installed not long after I bought my car 10+ years ago and thought for sure they would be out of stock by now.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I can get more of these bolts and cups (and whatever else) if necessary - as long as there is a car at the junkyard and there usually is. I have only seen maybe 2 cars with that much rust over my time with this chassis. That is crazy.

·
Super Moderator
12,554 Posts
I can get more of these bolts and cups (and whatever else) if necessary - as long as there is a car at the junkyard and there usually is. I have only seen maybe 2 cars with that much rust over my time with this chassis. That is crazy.
... nah, that's not crazy ... that's Chicago winters for ya.

Man, Matt, keep that car off the roads from Halloween to April fools day!

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
I think there's about 30 days the A/C won't run here ...

RwP

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Where I live, you don't need your AC for about 4 months of the year AND you don't need to worry about road salt! :D

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Where I live, you don't need your AC for about 4 months of the year AND you don't need to worry about road salt! :D
Yah, but it's California.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Man... I really need to do that too. Even seeing what you went through... I'm still afraid to touch them. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Man... I really need to do that too. Even seeing what you went through... I'm still afraid to touch them. :eek:
I touched them once, they didn't move with the 3/4" rachet, so I figured I'd fight that another day.

I have a set of bushings sitting here, and corrosion resistant 10.9 bolts were $3 apiece.

I'm thinking fully threaded will be more likely to not sieze for next time... like I'll be alive to rebuild these again, lol.

I've had rain everyday for a week, so everything here is soaked; I need a bigger garage, lol. (Then I'd buy another machine for it... :rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Even though I'm terrified to do this myself, that won't stop me from parts hoarding in case I feel brave someday. :D

Matt - where did you track down the rubbers and such? Looks like it's all obsolete (except for the big brackets).

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
Matt - where did you track down the rubbers and such? Looks like it's all obsolete (except for the big brackets).
Looks like just the rear brackets are still available, that's it. He's a junkyard dog, remember! :tongue:

jco1385 helped him out also, he's in a no salt part of the country which helps a lot.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #795
I didn’t replace the rubber unless you count the top cups, the big bushings were actually in good shape despite their age and the condition of everything around them. Eventually I intend to replace them with something solid, along with a rust free cradle, this is just fixing the worst of it and getting the threads cleaned with **** loads of antisieze in there so I can do that easier in the future.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
So if you torqued the bolts down to 100 ft lbs, instead of the 70 required, you are probably spot on with all of that anti-seize. ( in my trade everbody calls this stuff Never-seize which is more of a brand name) Ive never seen a body mount rusted out like yours ( California ) .. only one month out of the year where AC is great to have, the rest of the time I am using the heater since it gets down to 50 degrees in the mornings ( cold as **** ) .

Yeah if you ever find a need for a "rust free" IRS subframe, I will probably have one out here for you if you are unable to find one elsewhere. Ive tossed dozens of those body insulators in the trash in perfect condition.

·
Administrator
8,218 Posts
the rest of the time I am using the heater since it gets down to 50 degrees in the mornings ( cold as **** ).
That's a heat wave here in March! :cool:

I've tossed dozens of those body insulators in the trash in perfect condition.
Start hanging on to them, business might start picking up for you from us northerners! :D

Joe

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #798
Did anyone happen to save the pictures of the dead pics from the LED reflector conversion, particularly from post 676 that they could send me? I’ve slowly been converting the messed up Photobucket links to unblurred/watermarked attachments but unfortunately the Tinypic ones I briefly used are gone gone.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Alas, not on archive.org either.

RwP

781 - 800 of 803 Posts