TCCoA Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1059 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
I do have a C-head 4V motor assembled on a stand that I will be swapping in eventually, but I have too many projects pending right now to tear apart a good running car.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
I don’t know. I had a Walbro GSS342 in the car that I put in about a year ago. Yesterday without warning it cut out and left me stranded on the side of the road. Beating on the tank got it to go again and I drove it straight to the shop. For now, I just put the complete Delphi pump in. The car has a stock 4.6 with just a PI intake manifold, so it’s not like I need the higher flow, and I’m taking the car to Indiana this weekend, so I just had to get it back up and running quickly.
Where’d you buy the Walbro from? May have been one of these

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
I’ll look at it closer tomorrow and take some pictures of it. The funny thing about that is I always used to just buy them on eBay for $60, and never had an issue, but this time I knew about the fake pump issue, so I bought this one from five-o motorsports for $110, and it was supposed to be a genuine Walbro, but it looked cheaper than the eBay ones, and didn’t fit well in the hanger, and from when it was first installed, it wouldn’t hold pressure overnight and I would have to crank it longer to start it if it had been sitting more than a few hours.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
I’ll look at it closer tomorrow and take some pictures of it. The funny thing about that is I always used to just buy them on eBay for $60, and never had an issue, but this time I knew about the fake pump issue, so I bought this one from five-o motorsports for $110, and it was supposed to be a genuine Walbro, but it looked cheaper than the eBay ones, and didn’t fit well in the hanger, and from when it was first installed, it wouldn’t hold pressure overnight and I would have to crank it longer to start it if it had been sitting more than a few hours.
Yeah I bought mine from summit for a premium, crossing my fingers they buy direct from Walbro. It’s possible though like any business they buy from the lowest bidder and inadvertently end up with fakes.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
I figured out why I was having such a hard time with the lines last time I changed the fuel pump, there’s a clip that holds the fuel/vapor lines and harness all together that itself is clipped to the top side of the tank. Pop that sucker off and no more kinking of them.

Anyway, big thanks to @MadMikeyL, lowered the emptied tank down just like he said without touching the filler/crossover hoses. Maneuvering the pump assembly into it is a bit trickier with the lack of clearance but I got it after 10 minutes of futzing around, that and swapping the pump/parts from the old sender assembly to the new one(actually my factory original known entity one) ate up most of the time spent, took about an hour in a half.

Driveshaft U joints tomorrow. I discovered before I started one of the zerk fittings had somehow broken off the front one and sprayed a perfect circle of grease around the tunnel and exhaust 🙄 Luckily my NAPA had solid types in stock, been wanting to swap to those eventually anyway.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #986 ·
Took the car out for the 17 gallons of gas, ouch lol The new old sender worked like a charm, before I’d fill up to the top the needle would only point up to 7/8th full, now it’s off the charts because I “recalibrated” the needle placement to attempt to compensate(next minor project is fixing that). This is such an unimpressive picture but I’m so happy lol

The cage I previously used seemed to be bent up somehow so the sender always read low, which bothered me doubly because if the sender is too high the pickup is too high, so I’ve been real cautious running below 1/4 tank. I mean I pumped a full 5 gallons out into my Jerry can, and before I started working on it the check gauges light was on and I even drove an extra 15 miles around town from there to get the tank as empty as I could get it. Hell there was still about a gallon in the tank when i was working on it

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 · (Edited)
Not much “building” going on this weekend, more like fixing and cleaning, but since I had my cluster apart to recalibrate the fuel gauge needle to read accurately on my bench I figured I’d share some interesting trivia, or at least it is to me. A few years ago I found an odd cluster in a 95 Cougar I was getting some parts from at the junkyard, someone had half disassembled the dash before I got there but left the cluster on the seat, Nothing remarkable at first glance other than these stickers underneath.

Then I noticed it’s uniqueness. First the fuel/Volt gauge, I have seen these before on some 96s(I think late production) but it’s unique in that the max and empty lines went from the common thick lines on all previous 89-96 clusters to thin lines, as you can see side by side (ignore the electrical tape, I just use that to block light bleed)

Here’s where it gets more interesting, note the dates on the drive motor, we know what clusters were going in Tbirds/Cougars in March 97, so obviously this wasn’t just some used cluster or parts from one that that electronic repair shop sourced, it was instead most likely new replacement over the counter Ford parts. I since lost the picture but the odometer gears were mint too and black instead of the usual green/blue you see. The oil/coolant gauges didn’t have any decals or uniqueness so I left them, but with all of that I suspect the whole cluster was a replacement unit. I grabbed only the unique bits.

The Tachometer however is the truly unique item, like the fuel/volts it has a 1997 sticker on the drive motor, June in its case, and likewise it has a unique face but this time one I have never seen before on any production 94-96 - 89-93 style slatted redline marks!

94-96 for reference(SC one but identical to XR7/LX besides premium)

And it’s not just a carryover face either, compare it to the 89-93 one below, it has the later part number, it says “check gauges” rather than “check gage” like the 89-93s, and it even uses the font that very slightly changed between 93 and 94 - characters are a little bolder and most notably closer together spaced, as very apparent with the “RPMx1000”. It also has the useless upshift light, which in the 94-96 range I’ve only seen printed on some 94-95 SC tachs, never XR7/LX type. Most likely this was a one size fits all type replacement part for all 91-96s with the sport cluster so it’s a mongrel of styles in effect.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,765 Posts
I wish I'd have paid more attention when I worked in a parts department for a year just out of college. It was a GMC/Mercury/Lincoln dealership, so we had many Ford parts. Never got into the numbers other than finding whether to place them or picking for a delivery.

Do you see the 10 in the upper left of the volt/fuel, then the other had a 5 at the bottom right? Then where the 5 is on the one on the right, the one on the left has ASY instead. Wondering if it's one from anassembly versus, individual, on the one that was worked on?

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
I suspect that tach is for a 94/95SC based on the slightly higher redline, the "premium fuel" notification, and the F4S at the beginning of the part number.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
I suspect that tach is for a 94/95SC based on the slightly higher redline, the "premium fuel" notification, and the F4S at the beginning of the part number.
That SC one is just an example, all 94-96s have that redline, 3.8, 4.6 or SC, that’s what makes the F4WF one so unique

·
Super Moderator
8,425 Posts
Sorry, I was confused, I thought the 94SC one was the one that came out of the Cougar.

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 ·
Rainy day project - out with the Vogtland 1” progressives, in with the cut linear Tokicos… again!

And for the main course, the 😉😉 “SCP” 😉😉 poly strut rod bushings. Fit like a glove, we’ll see how they hold up. The original 28 year rubbers actually weren’t bad looking
at all, but they have had noticeable slop so out they finally go. Sleeves were nasty!

Just for shits, I was slightly inspired by @1997ThunderbirdLXV6 to wrap a spare console lid with some leftover houndstooth. I don’t hate it as much as I thought I would, feels nicer than the factory rubber.

So wonderfully 70s😁

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Looks good! what did you hate about the springs?

·
Administrator
21,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
Looks good! what did you hate about the springs?
I like the Vogtlands, but I do slightly feel like the car felt more responsive with the Tokicos, I think it’s the linear vs progressive thing, but really I just wanted to go lower again and I’m not cutting the vogtlands to get there. Funny enough with the 27” tall tires I’m running the Vogtlands are exactly the same ride height as stock

What were the part number on the strut rod bushings again? Will probably get a set for the red car.
4.7118G You need to hog out the sleeves a few thousandths to fit over the strut rod, I used a brake cylinder hone on my drill press.

981 - 1000 of 1059 Posts