TCCoA Forums banner
1001 - 1020 of 1062 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,001 ·
Whoever came up with putting the scissor jack between the shock assembly and tow hooks to get the strut rod out of the control arm is both a genius, but also owes me a scissor jack 🤣

But it’s done, the springs aren’t quite as low as I remembered but they did drop it about 11/16” from before, kinda sorta tempted to cut them again for a teeny bit more drop, but eh, I’ll revisit if I cut too much off the rears next.

But the poly strut rod bushings + these springs, wowza! It is very noticeable, tight and responsive, exactly what I was hoping for and wasn’t quite satisfied with after the big build, these pulled it all together. I originally swapped them for the vogtlands during a near two year down time so I never really back to back compared them until now, I had an feeling I liked the Tokico springs better but thought maybe the heavier wheels I also changed to at the time were the problem, but no it’s the springs, I think I proved to myself I don’t like progressives. The ride quality isn't even that different!

And the poly strut rod bushings are icing on the cake, no doubt they’re playing a part in making the springs feel good but the braking and steering feel is way better, I just hope they stay together 😝

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 ·
Are the 1" drop vogtlands likely somewhat softer than the 1.6? Or maybe the softer part is longer?
Not sure, according to Vogtland’s published specs the 1” drop ones have a lower initial rate but actually have a higher secondary rate than the 1.6s, Vogtland definitely winds the front 1” and 1.6s differently, you can see it if you look at them side by side so I suspect they engineered them to behave roughly the same regardless of drop, rather than just having a shorter spring with a resultantly greater rate(the rears are like that though)

I’ve been in cars with the 1.6s and they didn’t ride any different than mine with the 1” ones, though I wasn’t hooning their car to really see what they’re like. That’s the funny thing, ride wise just driving down the road they feel no softer or stiffer than the linears, taking it to an empty parking lot and slaloming around the light poles though, that’s where their traits become clear.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
The purple springs I got with the tokicos are variable rate; you can clearly see the spacing change.
I don't like them. You have to set them into corners, and they move around a bunch thru a corner.
The sports I have on there now are awesome, and completely solid and predictable.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,005 ·
The purple springs I got with the tokicos are variable rate; you can clearly see the spacing change.
I don't like them. You have to set them into corners, and they move around a bunch thru a corner.
The sports I have on there now are awesome, and completely solid and predictable.
I remember you mentioning those before, I wonder if Tokico discontinued their own brand red linear springs I bought with my kit and substituted Vogtlands in place of them.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,007 ·
Some people call me a hack, but Im running cut SC springs on my 90. I love the ride and handling it has. Doesnt lean when I initiate corners, still dives a bit under heavy braking though
Depends how you cut them, as long as you don't apply heat that effects the temper they're fine until the spring physically can fall out at droop. The rate goes up with less coils so shocks should ideally match too

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Depends how you cut them, as long as you don't apply heat that effects the temper they're fine until the spring physically can fall out at droop. The rate goes up with less coils so shocks should ideally match too
I have a good set of sports in front and have my 350Z rears from the white car installed.

Still havent messed more with the front shock stuff. Especially since I started learning about valving. That basically blows most bolt in options clear out of the water. Which is what I wanted to accomplish in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Matt I was surprised at the springs you showed, as tokicos. they are Much thicker metal than the ones I bought. Yours look thicker than sports.
WEC, people have done cut sports that are really happy with; I'll probably do it on the next set I mess with. Cutting one coil off the front, and 5/8ths of a coil in the rear gives a nice drop, and a good stance.
I've been working on swapping the bushings in a set of lcas; I have a set of konis coming for the back.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It would be a bit poetic to keep them given Cougars use of sequential lights in the 60's.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,016 ·
Alright, little ******* engineering for ya. Under hard acceleration my EGR valve keeps hitting the hood bracing I clearanced for it not once, not twice, but thrice, yet it’s still pounding on it and I’m tired of making perfect radiused cuts with my dremel on the bracing lol So I’m went with the good old torque strap route, credit to @racecougar for this idea, but I used a turnbuckle instead of a chain and eyelet(I would have done that but not having a lift makes drilling vertically on the bottom K member lip impossible), it’s rated to 350lbs so it’s probably good enough for a NA DOHC, otherwise I’d like one with closed eyelets.

1001 - 1020 of 1062 Posts