TCCoA Forums banner
1021 - 1039 of 1039 Posts

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,023 ·
Back to the torque strap, it works pretty damn well! No egr banging on the hood and the driveline seems a little more responsive for lack of better word, not bad for $10 in hardware! I preloaded it some so it wouldn’t rattle around and fall off but there doesn’t seem to be any additional vibration transferred, but my exhaust tends to mask that sort of thing. Only con is my shifter doesn’t move and shake all cool anymore 😭

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,025 ·
Never thought I’d put bullitts on this car let alone black ones but the price was right and the spec happened to be exactly what I wanted - to give the car a rake without the back looking jacked - so here we are; 17x9 +30, 255/50 and 18x10 +45 295/45 Nittos.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,589 Posts
Looks great. I was just looking for giggles today, for 18*9/10 saleens and it looks like they only make the 9's now. They do have the FR500 style but the 10" were 35 offset for 2005-9 stang. Those were my 2 top choices, so back to the drawing board

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,027 ·
Looks great. I was just looking for giggles today, for 18*9/10 saleens and it looks like they only make the 9's now. They do have the FR500 style but the 10" were 35 offset for 2005-9 stang. Those were my 2 top choices, so back to the drawing board
I'm surprised they're +35 for the 05-09 , that's the year range mine are for and besides the spoke style should be basically the same wheel.

And thanks! I know the struggle, I had quite a few wheels kicking around in my head but I kept getting roadblocked by backorders, widths and offsets I'd want being NLA, limited finishes, rapidly inflating prices, and most of all my own indecision. Bullitts weren't my first choice but this set spoke to me like divine intervention, it looks like a 70s street machine but 90s car and 2000s parts, its exactly what I've subconsciously wanted for 15 years lol

Now its clear the natural course is of action is to save my pennys for this to complete the look 😁

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,028 ·
So I’m having a minor issue since immediately installing these wheels I’m trying to track down, there’s a roughness for lack of better word when the brakes are applied at low speeds, it’s not a vibration, there are no high pitched noises or metal on metal type grinding, it actually feels/sounds somewhat like tire rubbing, which is a possibility but I can’t find any evidence of where that could be happening. I’m fairly certain I’m only feeling it through the brake pedal and only with pressure on the pedal, it’s also kind of a similar feel and noise to when ABS is engaging (and I ruled that real possibility due to the different tire heights out pulling the fuse and checking), but it’s very faint in comparison, braking performance seems unchanged from before.

My big suspect had been the parking brake cables rubbing the rims under braking(they were) but even with them now cinched firmly against the sway bar endlinks and out of the way it hasn’t solved the problem. Given the tightness of the cables entering the caliper, and the resultant pressure on the caliper with them cinched tight against the end link it does make me wonder if they’re making the rear calipers behave weird but I’d have to disconnect the cables completely to troubleshot.

Other thought is maybe it’s just the way these Nittos behave, anyone have experience with the Nitto nt555 extreme ZRs to comment?

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,029 ·
So I’m chalking it up to the tires, I looked all over for anything else and they’re the only common denominator, I remember my Dad had a set of Continental tires on his old Lexus GS that had the same feel.

While I was there I decided to throw the Vogtland springs back on the front last night since I did find a rub spot on the tire and fender and since it I didn’t get around to alignment since lowering it I can eschew that task. Looks better to me, more street machiney, and still raked with that 28.5" rear tire. I only lowered it so the 19s would look better, but these wheels are a totally different vibe.

Hurst T-handle? Houndstooth on black? Hemish looking valve covers? Meaty tires on Torque Thrust styled wheels? You'd almost think I planned it this way lol

One thing I'll say about Bullitt wheels despite being kinda overdone is no other wheel flatters Cobra brakes as well as them, they fill it out with no room to spare, they never popped like this behind my 10th anniversaries and looked puny behind the 19' track packs. Saves me some dough really, I wanted 15" 6 pistons with the 19s lol

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,589 Posts
Ok, stop messing around and get the hounds tooth in the middle of the seats... You know you want to. Add I want to see it, so does everyone else.

Seriously though, it does set just right.

• Love
Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Looks great! IMO the stance is perfect now, it looked too low in the front with the other springs. Not really a fan of those style wheels. But your Cougar can pull them off given its mods and muscle car style. Cars need to have some balls to run those wheels.... It looks tough!

Strange that you mention the brake roughness at low speeds. Mine is doing the exact same thing after I redid the front end and replaced the front brakes. I have no idea what it is; only happens at low speeds and is almost like a slight chatter when coming to a stop. My only thought is the new brake pads. Never had this happen before though?

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
Looks great! IMO the stance is perfect now, it looked too low in the front with the other springs. Not really a fan of those style wheels. But your Cougar can pull them off given its mods and muscle car style. Cars need to have some balls to run those wheels.... It looks tough!

Strange that you mention the brake roughness at low speeds. Mine is doing the exact same thing after I redid the front end and replaced the front brakes. I have no idea what it is; only happens at low speeds and is almost like a slight chatter when coming to a stop. My only thought is the new brake pads. Never had this happen before though?
Chatter is the word I was looking for! I had on the tip of my tongue! That’s exactly it, it doesn’t do it until the very tail end of the stop or if I’m creeping on the brakes at under 10 mph, in my case all I did was swap the tires/wheels, suspension and brakes hadn’t been touched in months. I’m not particularly concerned over it now that I looked everything over and did everything I could to try to solve it, but it is an offputting thing nonetheless

And yeah the low nose wasn’t doing it for me, it looked ok only from certain angles, like the one I posted earlier, undoing that tied it all together IMO

And yes it needs more houndstooth, despite protest from certain people 😆

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Are you sure you got the disks fully seated on the hubs? I had a bit of rust on the hub cause a similar sound; it wasn't much rust. I put the sound down to the metal "wear indicator/pad springs" moving around.

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,036 ·
So what you're saying is that you have a set of wheels for sale?
Indubitably! Don’t ask me to ship them though lol

Are you sure you got the disks fully seated on the hubs? I had a bit of rust on the hub cause a similar sound; it wasn't much rust. I put the sound down to the metal "wear indicator/pad springs" moving around.
Positive, plus I coat the back of rotors with antisieze so they don’t rust together

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
Those wheels in chrome are what I've wanted for the black car. Everything I see is way over my budget. :)

·
Administrator
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,038 ·
Those wheels in chrome are what I've wanted for the black car. Everything I see is way over my budget. :)
What I love about the hub swap is you can find decent deals and outright bargains from Mustang guys like I did, the only set of wheels and tires I bought brand new had mounted and balanced for the Cougar were the 10th anniversaries/BFGs, after those the 20" AMRs were open box discounted, the 2014 track packs were a partial trade from those with cash on top, and the Bullitts the owner bought a newer Mustang and these couldn't physically transfer over due to the brakes. I roll my eyes whenever anyone refers to a car mod as an investment, but that hub swap allowed me to not have to spend more than $900 on a set of wheels/tires when I want or need new ones. Sell the old set, even if I price them to sell, the net expenses have been real low

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
I have all the parts, and a spare set of knuckles. I need to get out in the garage and swap them. I just got a new set of bearings from ra.

1021 - 1039 of 1039 Posts