TCCoA Forums banner
1041 - 1060 of 1062 Posts

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,400 Posts
Late to comment but your note about the tires under braking... I used to have that on mine but it went away after a realignment. I have NT555 G2s on the car now and they don't do what you describe.

·
Administrator
14,681 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
I tend to drive abs computers insane, especially new ones. I did a 4 wheel drift in my buddy's nissan awhile back, that gave a code that the dealer hadn't seen, and that we basically crashed it's little brain. :)
I hate to admit it, but it's probably best for society as a whole If I Can't drive...

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
When the ABS light is on does that mean it is completely disabled? It seems that way on my car, just want to be sure.
Yep, it sensed a fault so rather than try to operate and cause a potentially dangerous situation based on faulty input it just defaults to off until it’s fixed…

…in my case swapping to the non-ABS brake lines and proportioning valve I just so happen to have 🙂

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,046 ·
Just futzing around, I was sifting through parts and noticed that black shift knob I used with the other shifter setup is actually universal and uses a thread adapter… I’m pretty content and happy with the chrome hurst stick I’m running with the T handle so I may as well get a matching 3/8 x 16 adapter for this knob so I can change them on a whim when I get sick of branding my palm with TSRUH on sunny summer days 😆

But I’m not about to patiently wait for a M16x1.5 to 3/8 x16 adapter to show up later this week, I want it now!

Good old “lathe” 😁

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
Nice! I use a lot of tools in ways not originally designed for stuff, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·
Nice! I use a lot of tools in ways not originally designed for stuff, lol.
This one's my favorite, super sketchy but extremely precise!

And I'm glad I did it rather than wait, I already got bored of it and went back to the superior stylish and swanky T-handle 😁

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,049 ·
Hey tuners I have a question for you, I bought a Zeitronix wideband setup back in April strictly for datalogging but now that I’m actually getting around to using it I kind of regret not buying the kit that came with a gauge for the extra 50 so I can casually monitor the A/F without bringing my laptop everywhere. The Zeitronix gauge by itself is $100, which is more than I’m willing to spend since it comes out of the car along with the wideband sensor as soon as I have the tune satisfactorily dialed in. Will a cheapo wideband gauge suffice? Such as this one?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,400 Posts
I've thought about it but not seriously. You should be able to use the ZT3's O2 voltage outputs to drive any sensor though, so I'd imagine so.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,051 ·
After much research I picked a set of airlift 1000s that arrived today.

Since I’m using Mark VIII arms sans perches the airbags made for our cars won’t exactly work so I had to buy different sized ones to compensate, these are the 60727 kit, which measure out at 4”x6” rather than 4”x5”, based on the measurement I tookbetween the upper perch and lca cup at rest it’s 6-3/4 so these should work perfect once they’re inflated, I’m just hoping they’ll limit travel just enough to stop the sidewall from getting scuffed as it occasionally does like when going over railroad tracks at 35+

I’ve read it’s better for these be a little short than long but they are too short I’ll add a hockey puck lol

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
As far as the wideband goes, Zeitronics is a great company, who made these? do you really want to find out with a holy piston that the cheap ones were not a great deal?

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,053 ·
As far as the wideband goes, Zeitronics is a great company, who made these? do you really want to find out with a holy piston that the cheap ones were not a great deal?
I have the Zeitronix, I’m just talking about the round gauge itself, of which I’m not doing any tuning with, just general monitoring to spot rich/lean spike when I’m not actively tuning. The real tuning/datalogging is through the laptop/Xcal interface

·
Super Moderator
13,156 Posts
My bad; I have a gauge with leds as well, and really like the confirmation that I'm not about to break something when I'm having fun. I saw it go lean(red leds) one day as I was hitting the curvy drive I like, and realized I needed more than 1/4 tank of gas, lol.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
Was taking apart 4.30s on the bench earlier and as I was busting the caps loose I punched myself in the face with the pipe I had slipped over the wrench, as I was trying to simultaneously hold the pumpkin in place. I broke my prescription glasses and gashed the bridge of my nose pretty good, I thought I broke it for a minute with all the blood, but it’s all good! Now I’ve got a bandage over my nose and my only “clear” pair of glasses that aren’t scratched to hell are my black gradient aviators. This’ll basically be my look the next few days lol

Anyway, I’ve not just avoided putting in the 4.30s out of laziness or the stupid gas prices this summer, my clever idea to buy a totally bare carrier for super cheap and swap the gears from my 3.55s during the swap proved to be more of a pain in the ass than I thought since the 4.30 ring gear is too thick to get the side/spider gears in, ergo I need to take it all back apart, and I’d like to keep the 3.55s as a complete backup in the garage and be able swap it in for long road trips. Oh, and did I mention I intend to swap in a rust free IRS cradle when I swap diffs? Yeah, taking two diffs half apart in the middle of it seems like a bit of an avoidable hassle.

So I shelved the whole project with the intent to grab side gears/spider gears from the junkyard. Weeeeell that never happened either. Not for lack of trying but every TL car/truck I knew to look for was either 7.5 or 31 spline. I finally found two listings for NOS 8.8 28 spline side gears on feebay in my budget though!

Ford NOS OEM Differential Side Gear Part# E0AZ-4236-A | eBay
NOS 1980 - 1993 Ford Mustang 8.8" Rear Differential Side Gear E0AZ-4236-A | eBay

I better not get a throwout bearing on the second one but I think that’s a seller mistake 🤣 So the new new plan is find my original spiders(I can’t find them just yet but I should have them somewhere) if not source a pair, which is a lot easier to snag just those from a junkyard if I can’t find them, and either grind the ends of the splines for the circlips or just not run circlips. Then I might, just might, be able to have this project completed by the time I stop driving the car for the winter lol

I was starting to think for a second I made this diff project way way harder than it should have been in every possible step, but Nah.

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
At least you didn't knock out, or chip a tooth .. and then people call you Chip .. 🤣
I've got a cap on one of my front teeth as a result of a bike accident when I was 15, so for a few months there was an opportunity to

·
Administrator
21,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,058 ·
Side gears arrived and are true NOS! Key pieces of the puzzle, this project is back on!

As suspected, FAIL! Why didn’t anyone tell me 4.30 ring gears are so thick? lol

Oh well, I wanted to tighten the backlash a little anyway.

This weekends project, convert the two to IRS spec with the “lathe” 😁

·
Registered
4,926 Posts

·
Registered
2010 BMW M5
1,702 Posts
Not much “building” going on this weekend, more like fixing and cleaning, but since I had my cluster apart to recalibrate the fuel gauge needle to read accurately on my bench I figured I’d share some interesting trivia, or at least it is to me. A few years ago I found an odd cluster in a 95 Cougar I was getting some parts from at the junkyard, someone had half disassembled the dash before I got there but left the cluster on the seat, Nothing remarkable at first glance other than these stickers underneath.

Then I noticed it’s uniqueness. First the fuel/Volt gauge, I have seen these before on some 96s(I think late production) but it’s unique in that the max and empty lines went from the common thick lines on all previous 89-96 clusters to thin lines, as you can see side by side (ignore the electrical tape, I just use that to block light bleed)

Here’s where it gets more interesting, note the dates on the drive motor, we know what clusters were going in Tbirds/Cougars in March 97, so obviously this wasn’t just some used cluster or parts from one that that electronic repair shop sourced, it was instead most likely new replacement over the counter Ford parts. I since lost the picture but the odometer gears were mint too and black instead of the usual green/blue you see. The oil/coolant gauges didn’t have any decals or uniqueness so I left them, but with all of that I suspect the whole cluster was a replacement unit. I grabbed only the unique bits.

The Tachometer however is the truly unique item, like the fuel/volts it has a 1997 sticker on the drive motor, June in its case, and likewise it has a unique face but this time one I have never seen before on any production 94-96 - 89-93 style slatted redline marks!

94-96 for reference(SC one but identical to XR7/LX besides premium)

And it’s not just a carryover face either, compare it to the 89-93 one below, it has the later part number, it says “check gauges” rather than “check gage” like the 89-93s, and it even uses the font that very slightly changed between 93 and 94 - characters are a little bolder and most notably closer together spaced, as very apparent with the “RPMx1000”. It also has the useless upshift light, which in the 94-96 range I’ve only seen printed on some 94-95 SC tachs, never XR7/LX type. Most likely this was a one size fits all type replacement part for all 91-96s with the sport cluster so it’s a mongrel of styles in effect.
See that's cool and all but does your redline actually MOVE? Mine does :cool:

1041 - 1060 of 1062 Posts