TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a local paper here in NYC, a '68 XR7 was stolen in 1983 from a retired NYC police man. In a local paper, it was advertised for sale for $2500. Somehow he matched up the VIN #, and the car was retrieved and the seller was arrested.
Proving you can't keep a good car down!

·
Registered
178 Posts
wow.. what are the odds of that... glad he got what he deserved...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Just goes to show you....don't EVER mess with a cop, (s)he has many friends you don't want to anger. :leftright

:D

·
VA Chapter Director
729 Posts
My dad had something like that happen. Our house was broken into over the Thanksgiving holiday a few years ago and one of the things that was stolen was a nice .22 semi-auto pistol that my dad had. Well a year goes by and he is out at a gun show and sees a pistol that looks like his. He takes a good look at it and writes down the serial number that was on the gun and matched it up with his records at home. The gun was gone for a year but at least he got it back.

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
WOW! That's freaking amazing (and pretty funny). Good to know that the rightful owner got the car back and the thief is behind bars. :D

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
slightly off topic..my friend had an FZR...red white and blue with blue wheels...only one i ever saw like that. It had a scratch at the bottom of the gearbox where is says DELTABOX...well we be downtown one nite..and saw the bike..he sold it a year earlier..it was teh bike..he even had a spare set of keys and was quite tempted to "borrow" it:eek:

joseph

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Hehehehe I think I might have tracked down my t-bird and I have spare keys....god it's tempting :) but I wont. Actually something like this happened to my mom. For her 34th birthday my dad bought her a brand new blue pugeot mountain bike. She had it for a few months and it was stolen right out of the garage...it was registered with the police and about a year or so later, they found it in a drug bust, called her up, they went to get it...it was missing the lock, speedometer and had flat tires...added air and the bike was perfect...about five years ago that bike was in bad shape. It underwent a complete restoration as my christmas presant to her...that was one of the best christmases ever...I had so much fun re-building that bike, and it completely blew her mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yep. Small world, it's almost scary.

So far we've had 4 stolen antique swords show up at blade shows and recovered them. Only one resulted in an arrest.

Apparently thieves are getting more and more educated. In one case they had broken into a workshop, and into the cabinets. They had left the ROWS of brand new forged blades and sword furniture untouched and went straight for the good stuff. They even discarded the work-in-progress WWII blades in favor of the older, more valuable stuff.

But like I said we got most of them back. About $23k worth of steel, if I'm not mistaken.

Buy your own stuff!!! :leftright :ztoohot: :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
My dad had a rare 73' Hurst Olds w/ a 455. White/Gold and had it stolen out of his driveway 3 weeks after he bought it.. they took it and got in a high speed chase w/ the cops and wrecked it on the bedford, IN exit in Southern Indiana.. The cops said they clocked him at 130mph :O

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had a BMX bike stolen from me last April. It was a Schwinn Pro-Stock worth about $500. Best bike I've ever owned. Locked it up downstairs to my apartment because I was heading back to the library (this was dead week) and when I came out it was gone. I usually keep it on my balcony but I figured there was no need to carry it up since I'd be gone for less than 15 minutes. That and it was visible from my apartment (had my blinds not been shut).

Now I have a Haro Mirra but it's just not as fun as the Pro-Stock was. :(

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
I've had a Haro Group 1a Stolen, GT Mach One, GT Performer and a Trek Mountain Bike, all stolen.... My Mach One got stolen two months ago... Gotta love it. All our cars have alarms, and they've tried, but with the dog and the alarms, we are usually outside before anything happens, they've tried twice at my house to steal cars, but no success...

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
isn't it strange how there could be ...10 million EXACT copies of something you may own ...and yet yours, you could pick out of a pile?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts