TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.8 , 1997, tube that goes in to water pump and is metal, has one end going to "air vent bolt" on top of motor, the tube Ys, where is the long about 1/2" other end of the Y going? It goes underneath the throttle under the intake (FI). All I am trying to do is replace the O RING that that tube has on it in the water pump, when I unscrew the 9mm bolt and pry up on the y tube it won't come up enough to clear the coil pack cluster bracket either. There are two 13mm studs that are part of attaching the water pump, and holding the coil pack bracket up.....where is the bracket attached in the back??????...I can't see in there. Sucks, cause now it leaks worse..I have the .98 o Ring, just can't get the friggin tube out . It was a slow leak , now it leaks FAST. Guess I will remove upper intake to see where the tube goes...Firewall??Heater core??Backside of head??? I am sure it has a bolt and bracket holding it on like the front had. HELP> TIA

·
Registered
647 Posts
from my experience with that tube, it was mounted in the back, then mounted in the front (by one screw) it's hard as hell to get out of there, I had to pull and pry on it to actually get it out when I did my HGs.

·
5,650 Posts
The heater tube is attached in two places. One is on the water pump and the other is at the second to last intake manifold bolt on the passenger side. The coil is attached at three places. There are two nuts that go on studs through the timing cover/water pump and the other is a bolt on the intake manifold. It's hard to see, but it will be under the heater hose that runs across the intake manifold from the coolant bypass fitting.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thats where the second one is :) Back of the intake manifold! Thanks for jolting my memory :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok

so I do have to remove upper intake to do this , right? I am staying home "vacation" day how fun? I have my trusty 98cent O-Ring to install, when I am assuming , I remove the upper intake, (which I have never done on any car)...used to old carb cars only, will the gasket be good enough to reuse? This chaps me that if I were to take this to someone to do, I would feel like a dork...a friggin o ring? Someone would probably charge $200 to do this. I am going to start my education...any tips? I will be outside but luckily it is a nice day in Texas...should be 60 degrees later...now about 35. Can't afford to be down a car...wife is driving my diesel, she hates how big it is , has a small parking lot where she works. Thanks in advance.....I finally bought a book at the auto parts store...worthless as it is. Have had a TBird of some kind for 8 yrs, muddled through some how.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok

thinking I might put some kind of pookee on the tube for sealing purposes (Permatex @ opening...found out you have to remove windshield wiper and remove the cowl plastic trim to get the back intake bolt off...had the lower intake , timing cover gaskets replaced a year or so ago..leaking, and had them put a water pump on while they were there...didn't replace the O ring...that thing was there but not much left...no corrosion at all on the tube so I would say the ring was 10 yrs old. Any thoughts on the permatex? I don't want to have to go back in here. Was real clean in there ...made me :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
done

Just got back from the test drive in traffic no less. Did a lot of cleaning and replacing of little hoses -soon to be vaccum leaks. Amazing how you see a lot clearer when you step away and aren't pissed off anymore. Went pretty smooth and thanks for the info.. I was real happy how clean a lot of the parts were. Too bad I didn't have another way to go get valve cover gaskets- another day. They weren't too bad really,. I clenaed the covers up and it looks much better. FI intakes are too cool...easy to get off and on. Can't believe I have never messed with them until now. Well my back is killing me, guess I will take a shower, an Advil and sit my 49 year old butt on the couch. Thanks for the help and a place to vent. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts