TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to pull my four month old bad alternator that wouldn't charge the battery and was making noise off, and put the original one that came with the car back on...it made noise and has issues, but didn't seem to have much problem with charging the battery.

So I get home from work yesterday morning, pull the alt off, go to put the old one back on, and I am completely useless, just can't do anything right...so I decide to go to sleep. Well, I sleep horribly, wake up, still tired, but I want to get this done, so I go outside and put the other alt. on without any problems, have everything done.

EXCEPT for the ground wire that bolts to the top of the aternator...could have gone finger tight here and been fine but NO I have to break out the big f'n wrench like a moron....snapped the stud right off of the alternator...

Moral of the story? Don't mess with things like this tired, and slow down a bit. So, off to the parts store to buy a new alternator....hopefully this cures my occasional no-start and hopefully the battery will charge and hold a charge.

I have a feeling it might not....I drained it down to absolutely nothing. We shall see.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
_95badbird said:
Just make sure to charge your battery before you go try chraging it with the new alternator.
:zwthstpd: +1

EXCEPT for the ground wire that bolts to the top of the aternator...could have gone finger tight here and been fine but NO I have to break out the big f'n wrench like a moron....snapped the stud right off of the alternator...
What "ground wire" are you talking about? It has a plug and a large bolt for the cable that goes to the battery. I'm pretty sure it grounds through the case.

·
Super Moderator
9,248 Posts
I think he's talking about the output wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts