TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble with my stupid OD band slipping. On top of that, in third, the TCC would try and engage fully and make the car lurch and buck.

So I drove to Philly. 4 hours, most of it about 85MPH on the PA Turnpike. And it didn't do it once. It didn't do it when in Philly OR on the way back either. And a week later, it hasn't done it once, either.

WTF? Tranny just need a good workout or something?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
most slipping of the OD band is right when it engages... ME majors like myself or those familiar with physics can explain that usually the static coefficients of friction are higher than the kinetic coefficients of friction. Meaning once the band stops slipping, it's harder to make it start slipping again.

On the highway, you'll be in 4th gear almost all the way. the band will seat itself and stay put. If it starts slipping once it's stopped... then its life is about over. In city traffic, the band is constantly engaging/disengaging - allowing it to slip a lot more often.

If it's slipping at all, this generates temperature... lots of it. On the highway, there wont be as much changing gears... therefore less heat generated. This may contribute to the problem too.

similar situation with the TCC - all the TCC does is engage/disengage a clutch inside the TC... in traffic you may be getting the ever so common TC shudder. On the highway, the TCC will lock up the TC and stay that way, its in the programming.

Have you ever had TC shudder before? if not, swap to mercon V fluid and buy a cooler. If it's coming back again, then on a 1994 the TC is probably toasted. If you really want to be sure its the TC and not the TCC solenoid, remove the pan and hook up a 12v power source to it briefly- you should feel/hear it move back and forth when you add/remove the power. Check the fluid condition. Is it turning black? The darker it is, the worse it is.

How's that? lol

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Only thing to add is that a chip from one of the recomended tuners will help, as will the j-mod, and a cooler. If your OD band is on it's way out, none of these will save it, so plan to replace it when you do the J-mod.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If the OD band is totally toasted, it's rebuild time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it seems to be behaving now, for some reason. it hasn't slipped once since the trip to philly.

Also.. more on the third gear slippy thing it was doing... You could be driving along, you'd lose some power, and then get a surge.. and a few seconds later the same surge again, over and over again, exactly like if you were to push in the clutch on a manual car and hold the gas down, and then let it go

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't mean to suggest the obvious, but low fluid level or a cavitating pump will cause these symptoms. Make certain the filter is seated fully on the valve body and the orange seal is tight.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm. I'd have to drop the pan for that, and that's one of the things I can't do at home (I can barely change my oil without them *****ing that I'll break something)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts