TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Um... I got true duals finally :D, and boy that was goooooooooooooooooooooooood money spent right there. I will have pictures within the next week or so (I don't have a digital camera... sorry).

My 17X9s (2003 Cobras) will be coming in the middle of July..

Now I am not sure what to do next.... This kind of leaves me open for a lot of things..

Suggestions? I was thinking something around the lines of possibly a chip + PI Intake, but I want opinions from those w/ experience first of course... :D

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Get a PI engine, Explorer, Mustang, Mointaineer... :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tx_Cat said:
Get a PI engine, Explorer, Mustang, Mointaineer... :D
Kinda costly isn't it?

Not to mention.. I don't have that much mechanical experience.. and absolutely NONE w/ engine swaps.

Also.. I don't have the tools.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
LOL, well you were asking.. Actually, you can do it under 2k.. YOu can get PI cams, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, IRS, chip, there are many things to do.. The million dollar question is, how deep is your pocket??? Does upgrades that I mentioned are very common... If you need anything else, just talk..

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would get a 02 MAF, larger TB, larger plenum, and the PI intake. Top that all off with a chip and there should be a noticeable difference in everything...

Sam

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tx_Cat said:
LOL, well you were asking.. Actually, you can do it under 2k.. YOu can get PI cams, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, IRS, chip, there are many things to do.. The million dollar question is, how deep is your pocket??? Does upgrades that I mentioned are very common... If you need anything else, just talk..
Well, I want to go N/A actually, and my mods come very gradual.. Seeing as my job pays only $5.50.....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
j-mod

cooler

boooom quicker longer lasting car

i bet it wouldnt cost over 200 bucks for it with a full mec v flush for your tranny

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:

Well, I want to go N/A actually, and my mods come very gradual.. Seeing as my job pays only $5.50.....
is the exhaust your only performance mod right now? if it is do these:

jmod and tranny cooler
pi cams -
pi intake
underdrive pulleys
sct chip

and if your car is a one wheel wonder you'll want to get the frpp 3.73 pumpkin.

the jmod can be done for under $100. i got pi cams and a pi intake for $215 shipped to me. look for good deals on corral and mod depot, they're out there u just gotta look. pulleys can be had used for around $100 for mod depot and corral. sct chip approx. $300. each mod is pretty cheap. just take your time and do one thing at a time and eventually your car will be a beast on the streets.

Frank

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
and if your car is a one wheel wonder you'll want to get the frpp 3.73 pumpkin.
That's me.. although I did manage to get the left wheel to spin from a stop... anyway, maybe the previous owner put in a locker. Where can we get frpp 3.73 pumpkin and what's the ballpark cost on one of those?

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Al_Florida said:
That's me.. although I did manage to get the left wheel to spin from a stop... anyway, maybe the previous owner put in a locker. Where can we get frpp 3.73 pumpkin and what's the ballpark cost on one of those?
u can get it from any frpp dealer. most people get it from dan newman though since he is the prefered vendor. i know it lists for $700, i'm not sure on dan's price though with the discount. also you can wait around for a better deal if thats to much. they pop up from time to time on here in the for sale forum.

frank

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JoeyICU said:
j-mod

cooler

boooom quicker longer lasting car

i bet it wouldnt cost over 200 bucks for it with a full mec v flush for your tranny
The flush was done about 3,000 or 4,000 miles ago.

Got a B&M in the car..

I'm not sure if I am going to be able to J-Mod the car... Kind of scared to be honest.. I don't know if I have the skill to do it.

Also, I started to read those tranny articles in the tech pages by Jerry.. and WOW (a lot of it was over my head at parts, and it was hard to follow on occasion), I gotta know all that to J-Mod the car?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Someone could really break that article down... all I did was drain the fluid out of the pan and TC, remove the pan, remove the Valve body, remove some springs, drill a couple holes bigger, bolt everything back up, and fill it. Boom, done. The biggest problem I had was I dropped the plug on the torque converter in the bell housing... had to get a mirror, a magnet, and a LED light in there all at once =) Got it though. It's very simple, and also, I didn't spend more than 60 bucks on it... 2 paper gaskets.. 5 bucks. Mercon V... 30 bucks, and 10 bucks on cigarettes (I quit, BTW.. been a month!) Ialso bought a cheapo stacked plate cooler too... so you COULD do it in about 40 bucks....

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah the j-mod is very simple, the only part you need to really be 100% exact with is the drilling, but its just what anthrax bird said, drop the pan, vb, put in the better accumulator and top spring, drop the bottom springs put the gaskets and such back together and your good, if you were close id come and help ya, its super easy

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Justinh was selling those FRPP pumpkins for only $530. I don't know if he still has any, but I bought one and I'm very happy with it. If he's got any left, you won't beat his price.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JoeyICU said:
yeah the j-mod is very simple, the only part you need to really be 100% exact with is the drilling, but its just what anthrax bird said, drop the pan, vb, put in the better accumulator and top spring, drop the bottom springs put the gaskets and such back together and your good, if you were close id come and help ya, its super easy
I'm afraid you are about a good 7++ hours away man.. Preciate the offer though. Would I need to buy like a drill kit for the different sizes of bits? (I kind of don't have any drills, good recommendation?)

Another burning question would be HOW to get the tranny fluid out without drowning in it from it flowing out of the pan!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
my vote is for a two position chip, or if you have alittle more cash the flasher. set it up for current mods/ planned mods and you wont be sorry with the money you spent. throw in some colder plugs and thermostat and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
348 Posts
common method of draining tranny fluid is to disconnect the lines at the radiator, and run the car until it 'spits' then kill it, hook everything back up before you refill the tranny .... of course your going to want a suitable catch can / oil pan to catch all the tranny fluid ... really pretty easy ....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thumphed said:
common method of draining tranny fluid is to disconnect the lines at the radiator, and run the car until it 'spits' then kill it, hook everything back up before you refill the tranny .... of course your going to want a suitable catch can / oil pan to catch all the tranny fluid ... really pretty easy ....
Oh damn I forgot bout that method.. Couldn't I just disconnect one of the hoses to the cooler???

EDIT: I am reading the tech article... is it possible to do the drilling w/o a drill press? I am kinda short on one of those :D

Thanks again for your recommendations, I have decided I will do the mods in this order next:

J-Mod
ASP Pullies (non-piggyback)
Apten chip with programming for GT MAF, PI Intake, PI Heads, 180 T-Stat, 22C's and 3.73s (this will be the "big one")

Good idea or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SanDiegoLXBird said:
I'd just swap the PI cams into your NPI heads, unless you want the bump in compression. JL and Kris Danner have done alot of work in proving that the gain from the PI heads was mostly (if not all) provided by the better cams and intake manifold.
Hey man, I PMed you about the PI / NPI stuff.

I have a few more J-Mod questions, but I will do more research on it when I get the money / tools..

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts