TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok well instead of trying to explain all of this, I made video's which should make diagnosing the problem so much easier instead of worrying with the 'What's the RPM's doing?' or the 'What's it feel like.'

Watch the vids - The car is 'bucking and stuttering.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JfJCYJiu0pQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JfJCYJiu0pQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvvG8EWkn2k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvvG8EWkn2k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

- Note the mileage on the Odometer. That was at fillup. Now it's on 3/4 of a tank.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What codes are you getting??
02 sensor malfunction bank 2 sensor 2. Same one I've had since I've had the car and it's never done this. I could always take it back and get the codes checked...again... but just wanted to see what y'all think ahead of time.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
02 sensor malfunction bank 2 sensor 2. Same one I've had since I've had the car and it's never done this. I could always take it back and get the codes checked...again... but just wanted to see what y'all think ahead of time.

I think its running like sh*t.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha I knew that lmao. I've tried unplugging the Coil packs. Couldn't hurt to swap the old one's back in and see if that'll help it. As far as the fuel pump, there's no way to test the amperage coming from it is there?

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I think it's ignition related. The fact that the tach is dropping that fast... if it were cutting out from fuel, I don't think the tach would drop like that. I think the tach is dropping that fast because the ignition is dropping out. Somewhere.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's ignition related. The fact that the tach is dropping that fast... if it were cutting out from fuel, I don't think the tach would drop like that. I think the tach is dropping that fast because the ignition is dropping out. Somewhere.
Here in a minute, I'm going to double check that the spark plugs are still in there. It bogged down after I posted the vids at Arby's while I was waiting for my food. It bogged down to what I'd estimate to be about 200 rpms and when I gave it a bit of gas to pick it back up, and when I did, it sounded like it was about to shoot a piston out of the block. It knocked and HARD, but picked back up and idled right. Sometimes it'll bog down and shake the hell out of me and sometimes it runs right for a minute or two and if you give it substantial pedal, it'll shake itself apart.

I've checked the MAF so that's a non-issue.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
you would know if you blew a plug out of the head....it would miss like crazy(not intermitenly (sp)), it would also be making a horrible sounds.

Check each plug though for moisture.

did you happen to wash the engine recently, or get lots of rain?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We got some rain a few days ago. I can always check the plugs though. Let me get this straight so I know what to report back - Oil or fluid on the spark head, or the south tip it means that there is a leak in the head gasket and, if it's above the threads, it's the valve cover gasket right?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
let me reclarify.....you should not need to pull the plugs....I was talking about the hole where the plug sits and the boot goes.

you can (since you are right there anyway) go ahead and pull the plugs too, to see their condition.

If you have one thats not firing, you should be able to tell.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do. I'm gonna run and get the codes checked and then pull the plugs so wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It looks to me the car is getting spurts of fuel loss maybe? Maybe they are dead spots from a bad MAF. My car does it at 90 at WOT and periodicly looses idle and comes back. All cause the MAF is shot. Maybe try a new MAF?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks to me the car is getting spurts of fuel loss maybe? Maybe they are dead spots from a bad MAF. My car does it at 90 at WOT and periodicly looses idle and comes back. All cause the MAF is shot. Maybe try a new MAF?
this is the second MAF. The guy didn't give me a definite code but he said it was a multiple engine misfire code. Gonna go out and check the plugs, wires and Coil packs. What should I get from them if I'm gonna test the power on the Coil packs?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, I got out there and pulled the plugs and wires to look at everything.

As it turns out, ALL the plugs on the passenger side looked like this -

All the drivers side plugs looked brand new but they appeared to be coming loose. Like this -

The only thing I can conclude as to why the passenger side looks like charcoal, is that it's a computer problem hanging the injectors up.

Another thing is that I tested the coil packs (off a 97 Bird) and one pulled 13.5 and the driver side pulled 13.2 on the voltimeter. Any more 'Ideers'?

I took it around the block, and it seemed to be working right.....Bad thing is that is sucked up a half tank of gas in 47 miles....

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Four of your plugs are wasted. :D

If you search, you can find out why; I don't use plugs like that.

If you're too lazy to search, replace all 8 plugs with standard double platinum Autolite plugs, and see if it goes away. <$20.

Bosch plugs don't work well in our cars; or half of it, to be more specific.

Let me guess; you have about 10k miles on them?

If they wore out faster than that, replace all of your o2 sensors that haven't been replaced. I swap fronts to the rear, personally, and put new ones in the front.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't even have 1000 miles on them. I will try that but it's running well enough to sell right now so I don't give two squirts of lemonade what happens to it now. I need to sell it..anyone near Fayetteville NC? It's under 1k bucks. I'll sell it for 800 bucks lol.

The o2 sensors, I'm not too worried about. It ran perfectly fine with a bad sensor, (said bank 2 sensor 2) and if it's not a big deal, then I'm not gonna sweat over it.

·
Super Moderator
10,588 Posts
Looks like from searching that the Bosch plugs only lasted a couple of months; that's in the "Vacuum Leak from Hell" area...

Have you checked and replaced all the vacuum lines, even the ones under the fender?

Have you replaced the front o2 sensors?

Replaced the plug wires? Those plugs are wasted; they could have taken the coil packs and wires with them.

I would do the "midnite arc test" with a fine spray from a hose over your engine at night with all the lights off; you can see the arcover of the wires or coils in the dark.

If you are particularly adventurous, you can run your hand up the wire while the engine is running, with the other hand on the car body. That tests wires the best; instant feedback...

I want to thank you :thumbsup: for making me search out the earlier locked thread; I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like from searching that the Bosch plugs only lasted a couple of months; that's in the "Vacuum Leak from Hell" area...

Have you checked and replaced all the vacuum lines, even the ones under the fender?

Have you replaced the front o2 sensors?

Replaced the plug wires? Those plugs are wasted; they could have taken the coil packs and wires with them.

I would do the "midnite arc test" with a fine spray from a hose over your engine at night with all the lights off; you can see the arcover of the wires or coils in the dark.

If you are particularly adventurous, you can run your hand up the wire while the engine is running, with the other hand on the car body. That tests wires the best; instant feedback...

I want to thank you :thumbsup: for making me search out the earlier locked thread; I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :)
Sorry about that, the having to search thing. I searched and found the whole 'working on half the engine' thread. Mine are only plat +2's though :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts