TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
lemme begin w/ the token disclamer... I've searched, but I did not find

My cooling fan does work normaly. It works great w/ the AC on. It doesn't work w/ it off. So my car pretty much overheats anytime I turn off the AC

That rules out the fan. My theory is it's either a temp sensor or a relay.

There are 2 temp snsors. One for the ID10T guage and one for the comp.

Where is the fan relay? OR witch temp sensor would most likely be faulty?

Thanks

:D

·
Registered
798 Posts
The sensor for the fan on the 3.8's (might be different for 4.6) is the one with the larger plug. Unplug the sensor and see if the temp guage goes back to the far left, if it doesn't, then try the other one until you figure out which is which. I had the sensor fail on me and the fan wouldn't ever turn on. The IRCM Relay box is in front of the airbox and behind the headlight. I'd try the sensor first since it's a lot cheaper than the relay box.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
SUP?

my car gets a little warm unless a/c is on, or i am driving.. if i come to a light and go less than 20 for more than 5 minutes, temp guage starts goin up... then again, it may be cuz of the 180deg T-stat.. i'm just waiting for the chip to turn the fan on sooner

JD

·
Registered
298 Posts
The temp sensor for the EEC and fan is the one on the drivers side of the intake. Replace it first since it's cheap.

If that doesn't fix it it's probably the IMRC or whatever it's called (relay box), it's behind the passenger headlight.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks the temp sensor is first on the list...

I was going to do it last weekend, but I couldn't find the time.

Past that, I hope it's not the dreaded fan box...( whatever it's called :D ) I was in a mild accident last fall. I still need a new bumper cover. I hope that's all

:D

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
it is a good possiability that the constant control relay box is bad. The reason I say this if you had a bad temp sensor your computer should set a code and then turn on the check engine light.

You said that you were in a minor accident that might have caused the problem since it is just behind the headlight on the passanger side infront of the air box. It sounds like the high speed fan relay went out in the ccrm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts