TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already replaced the t-stat (no help...)

The fan is working on both high and low...

My car only overheats on 100+ days stuck in Dullas (Dallas) traffic. I was thinking of flushing the rad, but I don't know if it will help.

The odd thing is if I pop the hood and let it idle for 5 min it cools right down.

It seems to me as if it's an airflow problem more than anything. (cuz it feels like a blast furnace coming out of the back of the fan.

For the moment my lady is bone stock and runs flawlessly.

I saw the cobra rad swap. I was also thinking of putting a pusher fan on the front of the condensor to help airflow. One would think that the stock cooling system should do it's job on a stock car...

any thoughts????

·
Registered
175 Posts
New radiators are pretty cheep these days. I had a over heating problem in my 93 3.8 Bird. I put a new radiator, pump, t-stat, flushed the system and cleaned the crap from the a/c condenser. No more problems, I can even use the a/c on hot days. I think that the cores in the aluminum radiators corrode and get plugged causing most temp. problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats interesting,cause mines been running near the extreme end of the guage also.. but only when its been near 100-- Stinking Texas heat!Anyway,you may want to check the impellor on the water pump.I have seen first hand cases of the impellors being"eaten" up by coolant contamination or take your pick.
Anyway,when your driving the impellor,being worn cant move coolant fast enough,add the extreme already there and the a/c on.Well,I think you get the picture.
Btw,I have done the same as you,plus I had to replace the radiator last summer,due to errant road debris,puncturing it.
I have noticed that if I hold a sustained speed over 75,it gets right back in middle,and will stay there.
So,if yours is actually getting in the overheat zone,I would check that w/p,and then of course the radiator for possible restrictions.
Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts