TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 3.8 LX that will turn over, and will catch, but stalls out after 2-3 seconds. It will only catch the first time, after that it won't catch and smells like it's flooded. There is spark, plenty of pressure on the fuel rail (don't remember the exact number but it's within spec) good airflow into the engine. Someone at work brought up the possibility of something in the exhaust, like the cats breaking up and plugging it, or some critter dying inside the muffler or something like that. How likely is it for a plugged exhaust system to give the symptoms I've described? Should I just disconnect the pipes after the manifolds and try to blow air in the pipes before going further?

Thanks,
Bryon

·
Registered
109 Posts

A clogged exhaust or catalytic converter will give the symptoms you described. Disconnect the exhaust before the catalytic converter(s) and see if the car runs.

·
5,650 Posts
Yup, clogged cats could do that. I'd try dropping the pipes from the manifolds and try starting it. If it starts, then you know the exhaust is clogged. It's not that hard to do and don't cost nothing but a little labor. Just use a penetrating lube on the bolts and let it sit for a bit to ease your job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try when I can get a bit of time to myself. I'll let you know if that works.

Bryon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts