TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I just took apart a 2004 Mustang V6 4R70W and have pulled out the 1-2 accumulator. There was a Green spring on top and TWO springs on the bottom, a Dark Blue Inner springs and a Yellow Outer spring. After looking this up, it seems this is the combination used in 2001-05 4R70W's.

From my reading, I understand that those bottom springs control harshness under part-throttle conditions. On Daniela's car I have a Purple bottom spring which I see was used on 1995-97 4R70W's. Part-throttle shifts on hers is fine, but I don't like the WOT 1-2 shift and wish it was firmer.

So, now I'm getting ready to do my 1995 Mark VIII LSC j-mod, I've got the 2004 valve body and will drill out the plate to the 350-400hp specs. While I've got the tranny out, I'd like to do a few upgrades including mechanical diode, EPC solenoid, and Sonnax Sure Cure (includes pressure regulator valve, PR boost valve, 2-3 valve endplug, OD servo pin, intermediate clutch snap ring & some PTFE seals).

My questions:
1) Do I have to replace the whole reverse drum pack to install a mechanical diode?
2) Should I use the XL3P-7G383-AB 5.4L, 5C2Z-7G383-AB or original replacement EPC solenoid (I've read somewhere that later model EPC's don't work correctly with older ECM's)?
3) Can I use the shift solenoids from the 2004 main control?
4) I will keep the Green upper spring, but am considering leaving either ONE of the bottom springs out or BOTH - what would you do?
5) What else should I do since I'm doing these upgrades?
6) Are these different size alignment pins gonna be a problem or can I just bolt this 2004 control to my 1995 case?

Thanks in advance for any and all input! :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has any advice to give?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,649 Posts
1) Yes.
2) Original replacement
3) Yes
4) Both
5) replace the whole trans with a newer one lol
6) You could probably make sleeves for the guides to place properly. I don't know if there's a for sure blockage or leak from having it misaligned, but I wouldn't risk it

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Yes.
2) Original replacement
3) Yes
4) Both
5) replace the whole trans with a newer one lol
6) You could probably make sleeves for the guides to place properly. I don't know if there's a for sure blockage or leak from having it misaligned, but I wouldn't risk it
Thanks, Matt. I can't replace the whole tranny because the 2004 was in a v6 and has the Windsor bell housing, so I just took the valve body & accumulators w/springs.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've given this a lot of thought and made some decisions.

I'm scared to put this valve body on an older 4r70w because of the roller clutch; I believe this valve body was designed for the mechanical diode equipped later-model 4r70w. Therefore, I'm going to get a 99- 4r70w to build right and use this 2004 valve body. The different size valve alignment pins is just the icing on the cake..... lol

I'll just j-mod my 1995 tranny in the LSC and run it 'till it blows up (just like I did my '95 Bird).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts