TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was helping my dad take the 5th wheel we just sold to a guy down near Stockton and on the way we pass a row of burned out cars. One of them just happened to be a bird and not just a bird, but an sc. EVERYTHING was either taken or burned except for the wheels! So on the way back we stop and take a look at them and the wheels hadn't really been touched by the fire. (Just dirty with soot) So we jack the thing up and pop off the wheels. Well... the last one gave us trouble but we ripped the car apart with the tow chain. (I think deep down my dad enjoyed it) Anyway, now I want to put them on the car. To do this, I need tires! The ones it came with were sitting in little piles next to the car...

What tires would you recommend? Then after you recommend them, recommend the next set that is cheaper :rolleyes: I'm a poor college kid and I most likely can't afford your first choice. Thanks guys!

~Chuck

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
Sounds like stealing........... ;)

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
225-60-16

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
So I was helping my dad take the 5th wheel we just sold to a guy down near Stockton and on the way we pass a row of burned out cars. One of them just happened to be a bird and not just a bird, but an sc. EVERYTHING was either taken or burned except for the wheels! So on the way back we stop and take a look at them and the wheels hadn't really been touched by the fire. (Just dirty with soot) So we jack the thing up and pop off the wheels. Well... the last one gave us trouble but we ripped the car apart with the tow chain. (I think deep down my dad enjoyed it) Anyway, now I want to put them on the car. To do this, I need tires! The ones it came with were sitting in little piles next to the car...

What tires would you recommend? Then after you recommend them, recommend the next set that is cheaper :rolleyes: I'm a poor college kid and I most likely can't afford your first choice. Thanks guys!

~Chuck
I've got four early style SC wheels and I'm trying to get rid of em. The tires are virtually brand spankin new, 16" directionals (seasonal) tires, of which I forget the name, but if you want em make an offer and I can get em dismounted

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
SHADOW said:
Sounds like stealing........... ;)
No kidding. Don't drive by my house.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TrevorSmith said:
Yeah, aren't you a cop?
Yes, it could be considered stealing.
No, I'm not a cop. Got 2 years left.

I wouldn't do this normally... Obviously... but this car looks like it has been sitting there for a long long time. You really have to see this thing to understand what I am talking about. It was burned to the ground (except the wheels) and was just waiting for the city/county to come pick it up, which by the way, is probably not going to happen because this car is waaaaaaaaay out in the sticks and there were a few others sitting there too. Whoever it previously belonged to has no intention of getting it back. I can see where you guys are coming from though. But I say once it has been sitting there long enough, hey, it's fair game. This is the 3rd abandoned mn-12 I've seen in the last month, kinda weird.

To whoever has the seasonal tires, I take it that means they are geared towards one season? I'm still NoOb when it comes to this stuff. I need tires I can leave on year round because I don't have the kind of money to change tires that often. I mean, I'm taking parts off of abandoned cars for Pete's sake... Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

~Chuck

PS. If anyone in the Stockton area lost an SC and would like it back, it is on Highway 26 right before Linden (sp?).

·
Registered
92 Posts
just be careful mounting those things. i have seen more than one person SEVERELY injured by mounting new tires on previously burnt out rims.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Insomniac96 said:
just be careful mounting those things. i have seen more than one person SEVERELY injured by mounting new tires on previously burnt out rims.
I was wondering about that myself. Wouldn't the extreme heat have a detrimental (I.E. weakening) effect on the metal of the wheels?

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea, we had this tech at the shop trying to salvage some previously torched rims. the rims didnt even look touched by the fire that happened to the car. he went to air up the tire after he mounted it on the rim and boom the rim blew in half and ended up bending the guys arm in half (and i aint talking about at the elbow )

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea........ I don't know. One of them is for sure torched... So I'm going to toss that one I think. But the other ones really seem fine but you are right, you never can tell... The other 3 wheels still had the whole tire left on them though. The tires were melted a little bit in one area but they were still intact. Would there be anyway to find out if the integrity has been compromised without killing anyone?

And thanks for putting up that thread Cougar Guy, that will help! I can never seem to find the threads through search and that one has been posted in recently and I still didn't see it. I feel stupid when I start a new thread and there is already one like it that has sufficient information, so hopefully you guys can forgive me!

~Chuck

·
Registered
630 Posts
Best Tire are yokohama's YK420's 245/50R16's i shou7ld know Been SPorting them for a while! and i Work for Discount Tire CO I have a Set of SC Rims in could Sell ya! for cheap if yours are bad!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little update on the wheels. 3/4 have the rubber air stems still in them so I am pretty sure they are ok. The 4th one looks burnt but I have no idea if it is still strong. I don't know! Hopefully I'll find out soon whether it is still usable or not. Thanks for the info guys!

~Chuck

·
Registered
92 Posts
just use a really long air hose and one of those lockable air chucks. then inflate it up to 60lbs or so and run like hell. if it blows up then you know it was no good. :D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
CaliHwyPatrol said:
To whoever has the seasonal tires, I take it that means they are geared towards one season? I'm still NoOb when it comes to this stuff. I need tires I can leave on year round because I don't have the kind of money to change tires that often. I mean, I'm taking parts off of abandoned cars for Pete's sake... Anyway, thanks for the info guys.
The tires are Phantom (no idea who they are) 225/60/R16s. Directional means they're supposed to be mounted to drive in one direction, typically associated with better performance for sport/summer. Mostly tires are rated for something in specific, snow tires, rain/mud, sport/summer, or decent all around, but based on the tire treads, any one type of tread is decent in the applications it wasn't built specifically for. Does that help?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
i'd recommend 235/60/16, its stock height but i bit wider than your 225's, that's what i got on mine

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Falcon5783 said:
The tires are Phantom (no idea who they are) 225/60/R16s. Directional means they're supposed to be mounted to drive in one direction, typically associated with better performance for sport/summer. Mostly tires are rated for something in specific, snow tires, rain/mud, sport/summer, or decent all around, but based on the tire treads, any one type of tread is decent in the applications it wasn't built specifically for. Does that help?
I see. Thanks. So your particular tires would still be OK in winter even though they are geared towards summer driving? A winter here only consists of rain and I never take her up to the snow. Also, I don't drive the car really hard or race it or anything so I wouldn't really need anything of that type. She's just a cruiser!

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mn12xr7 said:
i'd recommend 235/60/16, its stock height but i bit wider than your 225's, that's what i got on mine
I guess since you are doing it I wouldn't have any trouble having them fit? I wouldn't mind having a wider tire since I've had the rear end pop out on me a few times and once my front slid... Don't know how that one happend.

Oh and I won't be the one mounting them... So if they explode, I won't be there.

One more thing, they need to be painted. I haven't checked around but approximately how much would it be to have someone shoot them? I don't have painting equipment here so if I did it, it would be rattle can and I don't know how well that would turn out. Anyway, thanks for all the info guys!

~Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts