TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car back from the tranny shop yestarday. Installed the 20 tooth gear on the vss and repinned the plug myself under the car. Taped up the 2 unused power supply wires and fit them up in the wire loom and taped that up. Got it all right the first time. The car shifts GREAT! Acceleration is definatly better than that old stock tranny. Apparently lonnie's tune works with this tranny because theres no delay with the 3-4 shift. The only thing I noticed was is a vibration above 35-40mph when on the gas. Didnt do it before the swap. Driveshaft? Other than that its great. No more TC lockup issue either. My sincerist thanks and apologies goes out to all those who have helped me with this. I know I was a pain in the a$$ and I really appreciate all your advice and patience. Im glad I listened to you all in going with the 98 and later tranny. Again, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Dumb questions but did they use mercon v? What tc are you using? Details please.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a 03 stang gt converter and they probly didnt use mercon v.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
That's definately no good, I know that can cause some shuttering. For a cheap fix if you confirm for 100% sure that they didn't put mercon v in it then you could add some lube guard or heartland t-3 to "correct" the fluid. If the problem temporarily goes away then you've figured it out. I'd also assume (I'm no expert) that long term shutter could damage the tc friction or worse.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
At 0 miles the old Revision Mercon alone AINT gonna cause that IMO - My first guess is that they DID use Merc V BUT they misaligned Rear Tranny Support OR rear Tranny support rubber is FUBAR - Alignment procedure is pretty invovled per Manual - Misaligning that would be a lot easier than NOT using Merc V.

2nd guess is TC locks up at 35-40 so... could very well be Spark Plugs & wires, hell we change Snorkel Gaskets, TPS & IAC's on Mk's for this... - You have a REAL Tranny now & hopefully a REAL TC lockup.

·
Super Moderator
12,679 Posts
All that work and you can't confirm if it has Mercon V in it !?! :facepalm:

I'd have to agree with Buck. It probably has Mercon V in it but you should know for certain. Anyway, congrats. I know how great it is to get it fixed right. I couldn't believe the difference when Rob first installed the Jmod on my car.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
2nd guess is TC locks up at 35-40 so... could very well be Spark Plugs & wires, hell we change TPS & IAC's on Mk's for this... - You have a REAL Tranny now & a REAL TC lockup.
He used an OEM converter, they are very sensitive to needing MerconV and technically speakign the lockup is weaker than his original converter was because it is smaller with the same type friction. The factory cut the lockup pistons on a taper whcih plays a huge role in these problems as well. Hopefully with a few more miles on it it will break in. Knowing the converter he is suing I am concerned if it was not built with an already glazed clutch assembly. I do suggest checking the plugs and wires as mentioned hopefully that takes care of it, but it doesn't sound liek it is too bad at this point it will either get better or worse.
Alan

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did the 180 degree turn on the driveshaft and it did seem to take care of it (luckily). However, it seems after driving it most of the day today the lock-up issue is still somewhat there. It seems like it would be next to impossible to have the same issue with a new converter and tranny if it was in fact the tranny. Its not bad at all and it doesnt do it all the time. Its like the idle drops every once in a while when off the gas. Im starting to wonder if its the tune. Its definatly driveable however. If that little hickup is all its going to have then im not concerned with it. Will check with the tranny shop tomorrow to see what they put in it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They did in fact use mercon v. They went into explanation of how sensitive these torque converters are and that it needed it. Dont I know! Would it still be worth it to put that lubegard in it? Who sells it? Car still doing good for the most part. Love the firmness of the shifts. The old tranny didnt have any firmness to it.

·
Super Moderator
12,679 Posts
No, don't waste your money on lubegard. If it's got fresh Mercon V in it you're fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts