TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have been coming to this site. I don’t post too much but I do come on and use the search and most of the time I do find what I’m looking for.
It’s coming up on to 12 years that we have owned our T-bird. We bought it new in April of 1995.

For 12 year we have been driving this car, and in the last couple months we have noticed this more then ever. We go to stores and park the car and people rush over to tell us that we forgot to turn off our lights.
As you probably can guess we have the auto lights, and we have them turned up so they stay on for about 3 minutes. We live in the country and it’s nice that the lights stay on so we can see getting to the house at night.
Any ways in the last couple months we have been stopped more then in the whole 12 years of owning the car. I was just wondering what do you say to people when they warn you. I guess they are just trying to be polite so I don’t want to be rude. Today we went to Wal-mart, went inside and got to the back of the store and some guy was running up behind us. When he caught up he said “you left your lights on”. I didn’t at first know what to say, I kind of felt bad that he made it that far, just to hear they’ll go off on their own.

·
8,239 Posts
Most modern cars have auto lights, it isn't that fancy anymore.

My girlfriends mom's base model cobalt has them.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just say, "Oh it's okay, they will turn off on their own, thanks."

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
tinman_72 said:
Just say, "Oh it's okay, they will turn off on their own, thanks."
Same here. Mine aren't quite 3 minutes but I've had someone at the door at my last job stop me as I was on my way in the front door. "Your lights are... oh nevermind" as they shut off.

While they are most certainly common now they weren't back then and most people will see it as an old car and think it doesn't have one.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I usually thank them, then look at the car and snap my fingers. If I'm really lucky they'll turn off at that moment. :D Or I just yell "Bad Car" and hope they choose that moment to turn off.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Traveler said:
I usually thank them, then look at the car and snap my fingers. If I'm really lucky they'll turn off at that moment. :D Or I just yell "Bad Car" and hope they choose that moment to turn off.
LOL, that’s awesome.

I think people ask because they think our cars is too old to have the timed light thing. That’s the only reason I could think of, as auto lights are the norm now on new cars and most people know that.

I usually say "Yea, the lights are on a timer and they will turn off in a minute or so, but thanks anyway” But honestly though, it’s been at least a year since someone has told me that my lights were on. I guess because I don’t use that feature much or at all on my car also could be the reason lol. Only time I use it is when I’m in my parents car because they use it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
yeah, auto lights are pretty much standard. although our 2001 mercedes clk430 does not have them. it actually has HIDs that you have to turn on and off manually. *shakes head* germans...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of all the years we’ve had the car this is the first winter it’s been driving.
Even though, here in WNY it’s not been too much of a winter.

I wonder if the extra “warnings” could just be because people think that batteries will go dead faster in the winter?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
lol @ "bad car"!!

im gonna use that....and i have my hid projector headlights wired into my auto-lamps. so it looks brighter :D

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I usually say thanks, but they turn themselves off. Most new cars that have them go off right after you turn the car off, shut a door, or at another set time. Most of them you cannot adjust the time like our cars. I keep mine set around a minute.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yeah, I always say thanks and sometimes clap my hands or snap to turn them off, or remote start the car which freaks them out.

The remote start in the 89 is even better because of the choke-o-matic 2000 seat belts and even better if a seat is in the forward position and the seat belts slam them back.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Bangster said:
or remote start the car which freaks them out.
Here at work a couple months ago I was outside and my car was parked in the first spot next to the door, a couple of the techs were out there and said "Who's Thunderbird is that, it's nice." I said "Mine" and one of them goes "Ha ha, no really, who's is it?" I reached in my pocket and remote started it and the tech goes "Oh..."

·
8,239 Posts
I worked as a PC tech for a place that sold merchandise on the internet.

They had hired a bunch of people from Africa to work in the warehouse and ship out items, package them, etc.

Most of these people were new to the country, and the state of new york.

I started my truck remotely as I was walking out of the office area, they gathered around the truck yelling "the truck starts itself" "what kind of magic is that" "the truck starts itself"

Quite a funny cultural shock for them I suppose.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
JustinH said:
I started my truck remotely as I was walking out of the office area, they gathered around the truck yelling "the truck starts itself" "what kind of magic is that" "the truck starts itself"
I've had that too, a co-worker was out near the car when I started it from inside the building, he walks in and to my office and says "Christine is out there ready for you."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts