• option e

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've finally decided to change my exhaust set (my current set up is "D" with no rear exit) but i've looking at changing it a bit
here's the ones i'm considering, my top pic is "E" so far... let me know what you think...

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so youre saying that the further back they are the less power loss there is???
is there a difference between in how there is a single inlet versus a dual inlet from a/b and e ?

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
I also thought have the mufflers closer to the engine gave the exhaust a deeper/more grumbly tone?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I understand that a gas expands when heated and the muffler might 'rob' power, but that would only really be considered if you are using a restrictive muffler or one that flows right at the amount needed for you engine. and even then, the gas isnt going to expand THAT much to make a big difference, especially since you dont gain tons of power from a full exhaust.

if you have a good flowing muffler that can handle the amount of airflow for your power level, thermal expansion doesnt even need to be considered.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
nickmckinney said:
If you don't think thermal expansion is being considered, I wonder why so many cars now have the restrictive chambered muffler hanging off the back bumper?
And why people then change them to higher flowing mufflers. Flowmaster is a 'HIGH-flow' muffler? magnaflow, borla, and the other straight flow mufflers double up most of the chambered mufflers on flow. (dynomax 2.5" straight through is 1133cfm)

The original poster said he is going to use borla, not a 'restrictive chambered muffler' and I didnt say the gas doesnt expand, it just isnt a big deal if you have a muffler that flows well.

So in summary of your posts, if you're gonna place the mufflers close to the engine, don't use a restrictive muffler like flowmaster :)

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I want to learn, but as much as I've learned about pressure and heat in aircraft systems, I've never heard of this..I don't see it as a problem. My flowmaster setup midbody sucked compared to my magnaflow midbody, but its because it doesnt flow well, not cuz of thermal expansion.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i appreciate everyone's input in this....
but i'm still wondering... is there a difference between in how there is a single inlet versus a dual inlet from a/b and e ?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I voted b with a Magnaflow. I like b with true duals or at least a 3 in. pipe. That's if you have a 4.6 motor. With a v6 a smaller pipe would do.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I personally wouldn't use a single exhaust.

Since everyone's posting letters, I've got three letters for you.

A
R
T

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GreenBird said:
I personally wouldn't use a single exhaust.

Since everyone's posting letters, I've got three letters for you.

A
R
T
lol....yeah i would consider that but i have to first switch over to 92-up gas tanks, which i was planning to do either way...

·
Super Moderator
3,613 Posts
I can vote the ART solution as well since that is what I have. You may have to tweak it a bit to make sure it fits right but I did the weld up kit so I had to tweak it anyway.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I finally got everything together to redue my exhaust. I am going with two high flow cats, Magnaflow midmount muffler (dual in/single out), then a Y pipe at the rear to some Borla tips. Should be install in a few weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts