TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how was it? were you scared? did everything work out? im thinking of buying a engine that needs to be rebuilt for cheap, but im kind of worried that i would rebuild it and put it in and something would go wrong. what did you guys do on your first time to get over your worries? :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well I will tell you this, Im in the middle of my headswap right now. And after about 7-8 hours of work, all i have left to do it get off the drives side head, after then I get to start putting everything back. Nothing has been too hard, Some stuff just takes a lot of time (PS pump sucks, My hand still hurts) I know that the heads really isn't much in a rebuild but it doesn't look to hard. Just make sure you have the right tools

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yea you see those 3 little bolts up there all next to each other. Yea they SUCK! I should have got the pictures of all the blood on the ground and my hand when I got it off. You would have thought I was dieing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what size wrench did you use to get in there? you must didnt have too much wrench space to move up in there? was the motor mounts a PITA? that is one of my major concerns at this time. how did you get those off? what did you do for the A/C unit? did you open the lines to remove the engine, or was you able to keep them connected? :frog:

·
Registered
529 Posts
If I remember...

I think that wrench was an 8mm. I went at it through the hole in the PS pump pump pully. like 1/12th of a turn at a time. tedious. I didint touch to motormounts (just did the headswap) but I havn't heard of them being bad. And i'm pretty sure you just diconnect the a/c compressor from the block and hang it on the side.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
ac and powersteering were totally left in the car when i pulled the old motor out. no need to "remove" them from the car, they just hang there nicely.

as for the motor mounts thoes are not hard at all. 3 bolts per side, that go to the block, one bolt per side that go to the frame. the frome ones can be had with a 12-13mm?? not sure, socket with an extention. the head of the bolt is accessable after you remove the ps/ac pumps other than that its not hard, it didnt take me but an hour or so to bolt the motor in when we droped it in.

questions? shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts