TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of jumping ship on my 3.8 and finding a 4.6 LX. What do you guys think of your engines (specifically later ones, 94-97)?

·
8,239 Posts
buy a 96-97 or don't buy one at all.

Those are my thoughts.

Any of the 4.6 motors will run forever, but the 96-97's are easier to do alot of performance stuff to (heads/cam/intake swaps)

JH

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
As an owner of a 94, I also recommend a 96 (Sport if you can find one). Good engine, good gauges, good headlights, blah, blah, blah.... the list continues. :D

But the 94/95's look better (IMHO). :tongue:

I don't think you can go wrong with a 4.6L. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I like the way my '95 looks way better than the '96-'97's (especially headlights and gauges, although I'd kill for a damn cupholder!). And I'm especially interested about modding the engine (lack of performance is the exact reason I want to ditch my 3.8). One question (not really related to the engine or anything): Better to buy from a dealer or a private party? There's a '95 4.6 just down the street for $3500, is that cheaper than a dealer, you think?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I bought mine from a private seller, I think I got a pretty good deal. They're generally easier to haggle with, at any rate. And as far as performance is concerned, I agree with everyone else-the 96-97 engine is easier. All the stuff required for the headswap on a 94-95 is a PITA to find. I don't know yet about installation, but i imagine it's just as big of a PITA.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I happen to have a '94 that I would be willing to part with... I hate it... I can tell you everything wrong with it... Ohh and I already have all the parts needed for the PI head swap, well except the heads... I would throw those in too... I am colorado though... It would easily make the trip from here to MI and back 3 or 4 times, I just don't like it...

Sam

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ohh and I wouldn't buy a '94/95 unless you get a good deal on one. If I were to do it over I would wait until I found a good 96/97 for a decent price....

Sam

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I don't think that is what he is saying, but what he is saying is if you are going to go through the trouble of buying a new car, spend the extra money if necessary to get the '96-97, because if you get a '94 or 95 to mod your going to have to spend a lot more money just to get up to '96-97 spec.

I like my '95, you aren't the only one ;), but in hindsight I would have held out longer for a newer car.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Heads aren't that bad, Wes had never opened a valve cover, and did his own camswap in a weeked, and to take the heads off is only a couple more bolts, you still have to take the entire front cover and timing chains off, and putting them back on right is the hardest part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts