TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Does it work? Is there something I should know if I were to use it? I really don't feel like messing up my T-Bird.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
there was a huge class action lawsuit against them, it actually increased bearing wear by as much as 50% others also mention its essentially mineral oil in a beaker

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOLY SH**! Thank god I havn't bought and used it.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Well, it depends on when you put Z max in your lawn mower.

That story is from February of 2001 - over eight years ago. I'd like to see something more current and maybe a follow-up story to the FTC suit. They must have either made some change to the product or simply changed their claims to fall into compliance with FTC requirements because the product is still on the market.

Not that I'm defending Bruton Smith or anything. They obviously made a crap product and passed it off as something that it clearly wasn't.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
But Carroll Shelby swears by it...

:rofl:

-Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yea, this stuff is def. crap! Don't get it!! I tried it once, right at an oil change. The worst thing I ever did. My oil pressure gauge was nerviously low and never did recover. It tapped every time I started it up and smoked for a moment when I did. After about three days, I decided to drain, and refill with new oil and filter, after less then 100 miles!! After, the tapping stopped, but the oil pressure still wouldn't get back up to where it was. That weekend (about three days later), I emptied the oil AGAIN, flushed the motor, then changed the oil and filter AGAIN, and put in a can of STP (which I've been using since I was a Yut :D. ) It finally got back to normal and has been fine since. This was about three years ago and I still have nightmares :(. For me, STP is king. I occasionally will use Rislon oil treatment which seems to work pretty well (It's in a yellow "oil" type canister). In fact, I just changed the oil in my Tracer LTS with a quart of Rislon and it sounds great.......

·
Registered
875 Posts
If you wanna use an additive, i recommend Slick 50. I had a mustang gt where an oil change was done at a jiffy lube. On the way home, the drain plug fell out on the highway and i lost all the oil. I'm sure that had the engine not been slick 50'd before that occurence, it woulda cooked a bearing or something. Put in a new plug, filled the oil and dove that car till i sold it without any problems. I now add slick 50 to every used vehicle i buy at the first oil change, have for years.

Note:
Yes, i did read the complaint and ruling against Slick 50 also. I stand by it, it may not do all that they used to claim but it certainly hasn't done any harm to any of my vehicles for the past 18 or so years that i have used it. I suppose that todays synthetic oils are probably just as good, but i was usin this stuff long before synthetic oils were common.

·
Registered
917 Posts
there is no such thing as a DO-IT-ALL-MIRACLE-ENGINE-TREATMENT. they just simply don't exist, no matter what they say they do.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yea, this stuff is def. not a cure all. But STP will protect. I also like the Lucas oil stabilizer (it's like STP). My Dad also use to use Slick 50 and liked it too. Back when I was a yut (late 70's- early 80's), I had a '71 Olds 442. God I miss that car!!:(. It had a 455, and the Muncie close ratio "Rock Crusher" 4-speed, and a 4.11 Posi, all original. The guy I got it from built the motor and it ran low 11's. But, he missed a shift and spun "so he said" a main bearing. It drove and ran great, but when the oil pressure would drop, I would dose it up with a can of STP, and it would settle down for a while. I drove it this way for a summer before I yanked it for a rebuild. I dropped in a 455 out of a '73 225 (the ol' Deuce and a quarter). It was never the same. But any way, the STP kept that 455 going for a while........God I miss that car...........

·
Registered
917 Posts
i swear by lucas, but i also realize what it's designed for. it's just a treatment. it's not designed to permanently fix any problem. nothing by the way of liquid fixs bought at the parts store is a permanent fix. treatment, yes. but eventually whatever problem you had in the first place will come back to bite you in the butt, sometimes worse than if you had just fixed the problem correctly to begin with.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Mgino,

I had a SC and put that FECES in it. I blew out the HGs shortly after. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I hate resurrecting old threads. I was just looking for information on oil additives, like zMax. I used it once, a few years ago, but never felt a difference. But that's just my experience; not definitive by any means.

Now I realize PCD's post here is six years old, and he hasn't been active in a couple of years. But that is no way to end a thread. It is common knowledge around here that the 3.8 motors, SC or not, eventually blow the head-gaskets. I think it's unfair and inappropriate to blame zMax for that, whether it's snake oil or not.

I was going to leave this thread alone, and avoid necroposting. But an old thread, which serves as an archive of sorts, ought to have a helpful conclusion. The consensus here seems to be that the zMax is not likely to be worth the money. That's fine. But it's not going to blow your engine.

:zsoapbox: rant over.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
... necroposting ...

LOL :tongue:

Now that's one I haven't heard before.

Thanks for a good laugh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts