TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VA Chapter Director
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone wondering how easy it is to use the Zex Dry kits I highly recomend them. I ran mine at the track for the first time with the 55 shot in it and it makes a big difference. My previous best was a 14.15 @ 96.6. Saturday I made a pass with the kit on and swapped blower pullies for less boost. I didn't want to blow things up on the first pass so I went back to the stock pully from the 10% pully I was running during the 14.15 pass. I only got a chance to make one pass but it was all I needed to break my own recond. I now have a new best time of 13.69 @ 96.3. Now we'll see what happens when I step up to the 75 shot. :)

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea lots of us here use the zex dry kit. its a great kit and very easy to install. i went from 15.00 to 13.75 with just the addition of the zex kit (75 shot) and 4.10 gears. i'd reccomend it over other kits just for its ease of installation. no solenoids and crap to mess with.

Frank

·
Registered
521 Posts
what other things need to be taken care of to run this kit? my car is basically stock except a sct chip, could i run this system with a low shot like 55 or 75 without blowing stuff up. im planning on having santa bring me a kit after watching you smoke that ss camaro.

·
VA Chapter Director
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can probaly get away with running a 75 shot with your stock fuel pump. After that I'd look at gettting at least a 190lph in tank pump. I'm running a 255 hi pressure unit in mine but I also have a blown motor. Other than that it's pretty much a plug and play deal.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
NUHBOY4.6 said:
what other things need to be taken care of to run this kit? my car is basically stock except a sct chip, could i run this system with a low shot like 55 or 75 without blowing stuff up. im planning on having santa bring me a kit after watching you smoke that ss camaro.
you can run a 75 shot or smaller with no upgrades to the fuel system. i'd recommend a chip with a separate nitrous tune. its recommended to upgrade to a higher flowing fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator if you decide to go over a 75 shot. the regulator and fuel pump arent a bad idea no matter what shot your running though. the zex kit is the safeest and smartest kit out there. it is controlled by bottle pressure and only adds as much fuel enrichment as is neccessary. i'm still running on the stock fuel system but i plan to upgrade to a walbaro 255 lph fuel pump and adjustable pressure reg. over the winter then step up to a 100 shot. but to run a 75 shot or less all you'll need is the nitrous kit and i'd recommend a chip with a nitrous tune.

Frank

edit: looks like you beat me to it

·
Registered
521 Posts
the only time i would really use it would be on the track, if i had my chip tuned to a no2 setting would it screw up normal driving burn that i have now. im just looking for a mild kick in the a$$.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
NUHBOY4.6 said:
the only time i would really use it would be on the track, if i had my chip tuned to a no2 setting would it screw up normal driving burn that i have now. im just looking for a mild kick in the a$$.
well usually a chip will bump timing and bumped timing + n2o = boom. not always the case with smaller shots but you want the timing at least back to stock when you run nitrous and then if you run bigger shots you need to pull some timing. if you get a flip chip like i got, i have a naturally aspirated tune and a n2o tune. i always use the n/a tune and then just flip to the n2o tune with a switch when i want to use the nitrous. you can switch the tune on the fly too.

Frank

·
Registered
521 Posts
so if i dont get a flip chip i would be in trouble? and if so, do i have to buy a totally new chip or can modular depot reconfigure the sct ship i already have. any idea on the cost.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
im running a 55 shot in mine right now with my chip in and i have no problems. i do however plan on having another program burnt to the chip before i move to anything higher. if you already have a flip chip i would pm lonnie and see what it will cost ya.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea if its a sct 4 position chip already, you should be able to just have another program added to it. should be around $75-$100 for the nitrous tune.

Frank

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
alittle off subject but how are you launching off the line now fdawg97lx. i havent had a chance to get to the track yet and am curious as to if i can still floor it and not smoke the tires.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i launch at about half throttle until i know i'm hooked up then tot he floor. i tried launching full throttle with the nitrous on my street tires, bad idea. i noticed i could leave at about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle once i dropped the tire pressure down to 25 psi. The track i race at is prepped really bad usually though so i was never able to launch at full throttle without spinning.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yup drag radials are on the list with the fuel pump. i'm hoping for 13.2-13.4's with the drag radials and the 100 shot.

Frank

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
:D Jason, can you say 12's LOL!!!!!!!

They can be driven any way you like, street tires, drag tires whatever, but I think what Frank is talking about is consistency. Jasons car on the 55 and drags ran consistently every pass, as long as all the variable are under control.

Its fun learning to drive them either way. Drag tires are the way to go however and the 60's will blow your mind. Nothing like having your couch slam you back when you nail the throttle, if its hooking. Otherwise as most are finding out, all that power goes up in smoke.

With a little practice though you can run well at the track on street tires. Franks car pulled great numbers on them and mine has gone 12.7's on regular street tires as well.

Looks like more folks will be registering on the nitrous rosters!!!

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
1MTNCAT said:
as long as all the variable are under control.
:zwthstpd:

this is probably one of the more important parts of drag racing that goes over looked. it doesnt matter how much power and torque the car has if the driver cant get the car down the track. The only way to keep this variable controled is with practice and experimentation. Find out what works best for you and your application. People think that because car and driver tested a certain car and ran 13.4 that they can go buy that car and run 13.4's automatically. i see/hear this all the time and i just laugh to myself.

Frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts